Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Black Batting Quest Canada (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/black-batting-quest-canada-t304113.html)

Cattitude 04-11-2019 07:15 AM

Black Batting Quest Canada

I needed black batting for a couple of projects. Checked my LQS's, no dice. Checked Sew Sisters, no dice, checked Dinky Doo, only full rolls. Went to Amazon.ca and they only had a king size, way too much waste.

Google search came up with Connecting Threads. Only knew this name from mention on this board. They happened to have Hobbs Batting on 30% off. Queen Size Black for $16US or approx. $21.50Cdn.
Plus if I signed up for e-mails shipping on my first order would be free. Ordered three on April 5, it was shipped on the 9th and I received it today, the 11th.

It is very hard to buy Canadian sometimes isn't it?

Kitsie 04-11-2019 08:22 AM

Here is one link that I got when googling for "black batting in Canada". There may be others. Good luck!

https://www.dinkydoo.com/pages/searc...=black+batting

Patricia Drew 04-11-2019 08:36 AM

Cattitude,

I also try to buy from Canadian sources whenever I can. However, I always get my batting from Connecting Threads. They have that 30% sale regularly, shipping cost to Canada is most reasonable, and their customer service is great.

fruitloop 04-11-2019 08:40 AM

I'm not very educated on import/export but why doesn't Canada manufacture most of the goods that they now import from US?

Cattitude 04-11-2019 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by fruitloop (Post 8239085)
I'm not very educated on import/export but why doesn't Canada manufacture most of the goods that they now import from US?

First take into consideration that Canada is 1/10th of the population of Canada but spread out over a larger geographical area. Secondly just like in the U.S. most manufacturing is outsourced to China or Mexico.

Thirdly when it comes to competing with the U.S. Canada has a higher minimum wage making it less attractive for businesses to set up shop here.

GingerK 04-11-2019 09:42 AM

Connecting Threads routinely offers free shipping to Canada on orders over $85 US. It also collects HST on the cost of the order so there is no nasty import duty surprise when it arrives at your door. But also be aware that there are certain things that cannot legally be sent by mail in Canada--505 basting spray for one.

I have had very good luck buying from Connecting Threads. Love their batting sales.

QuiltE 04-11-2019 12:08 PM

Cattitude .... Yes, I have heard that CT gives good service as you have experienced.
When I need black batting, I have purchased it at Len's.
No idea how the price compares to yours though, as I can't remember what I paid.

Cat and also GingerK ... Last year when doing RxR, I discovered 505 and Best Pressed were hugely lower in price at E+E's in Newton. At the time I thought I was a bit nuts, so I did not buy. Once I double checked, I went back and stockpiled. I think it was the same for Retayne. Best to call ahead to make sure they have it before you go!

JanieW 04-11-2019 02:39 PM

I wanted to order from Connecting Threads. They wanted to take the GST and PST on the cost of the order up front. The only problem with that is that there is no PST in Alberta. I tried to explain that but to no avail. I was fine with them taking the GST but couldn’t get them to understand that we don’t pay PST so how were they going to calculate that?

It was frustrating because I really like them and their fabric.

GingerK 04-11-2019 02:44 PM

Hmmm Janie. Never even thought of that. For me, I guess it would come down to whether the cost and desire for what I was ordering was worth the extra 'donation' to the government.

JanieW 04-11-2019 03:19 PM

You’re right, Ginger. My problem was they couldn’t tell me what %PST they were going to take. They wouldn’t agree to just taking GST . It was weird so I eventually gave up . I think they have great inventory. I may try again sometime.