Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   black batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/black-batting-t295134.html)

craftypete 02-27-2018 12:28 PM

black batting

Opinions please, do I really have to use black batting with black fabric?
You great people always know best.
TIA
Pat

feline fanatic 02-27-2018 12:37 PM

No but if you have bearding of the batting fibers it will be a nightmare.

ckcowl 02-27-2018 01:28 PM

No, you don’t Have to do anything you don’t want to do. I’ve used plenty of natural battings with black fabrics. I like the black batting from Connecting Threads and the Dream one but if I don’t have one I use what I have.

Watson 02-27-2018 02:41 PM

When I do black quilts I use black batting BUT the black batting I have found is usually crummy so I end up double batting. Maybe you have access to better batting than I do.

Watson

NJ Quilter 02-27-2018 03:05 PM

I've used many black/dark fabrics and have never used anything but Warm & Natural with no issues. Perhaps if you have a very dark top (or backing) and need some separation you might need a second batt??? But I've had no issues with these combos and the batt mentioned.

Jingle 02-27-2018 03:18 PM

I have used black batting from Connecting Threads on a couple of quilts that were dark colored top and back. I don't know if it was needed, just used it because I had it.

thimblebug6000 02-27-2018 03:31 PM

The only time I had bearding on a black fabric project was when I used a white poly batt. I have made quite a few dark/black projects since, using regular Warm and Natural with no bearding.
I have only once used a black batt, it was purchased by my Sis and it was fine, but I think it was poly. It was used in a quilt with bright yellow and black... and it really didn't shadow black through the yellow, as I thought it might.

quiltingshorttimer 02-27-2018 06:25 PM

no requirement of it, but I've found that the one time when I didn't I had white bat fibers showing up on the black---so I always do. I use Hobbs 80/20 black and have had no issues with it being "crummy"--and also got a black poly--think it was Quilters Dream, from Connecting Threads that I used when double batting and it was very nice too.

Watson 02-28-2018 03:27 AM

I should note that the black batting that I have been able to get locally in Canada isn't a name brand and it hasn't been of great quality. I'm sure if you can get a W&N or something like that in black, it would be great.

Watson

feline fanatic 02-28-2018 06:07 AM

W&N does not make a black batting. The only ones I am familiar with are Hobbs 80/20 in black and Quilters Dream black poly which drapes, handles and feels like Hobbs 80/20. It is low loft and dense compared to other Poly battings. Once a long time ago I got a very dark gray batting that was a higher loft polyester that handled and felt more like Hobbs Polydown. I am not aware of a 100% cotton black on the market.