Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Black fabric bleeding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/black-fabric-bleeding-t271914.html)

Geri B 11-06-2015 06:12 AM

My question....if she continues to wash/rinse/ dry til it stops bleeding(if ever) won't that fade that black...I have a pair of black jeans that are slowly fading from washing, that's what I'm comparing to in my mind.

Personally I would replace with another brand if possible AND let the mfgr know what happened.....

Weenween 11-07-2015 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by aborning (Post 7367448)
i am making a quilt with grays, blacks, and reds materials. I decided to wash it all before i started-for fear of the red bleeding. Well surprise! The reds did not bleed at all. I only have one fabric that is bleeding. It is a black fabric. I have washed it in the sink in real hot water, let it soak about 20 minutes each time. I also put dawn dish soap in the water as i heard that helps set the dye, but it is still bleeding. I don't want to drive 35 minutes to my lqs just to buy retayne. Will anything work? What about vinegar?

i use shout color sheets man do they work good . I keep them in stock

junegerbracht 11-07-2015 04:11 AM

I had the same experience with an emerald green. Finally tossed it. Not worth it to me to take a chance.

Buckeye Rose 11-07-2015 05:26 AM

Retayne is used to set the dyes before cutting and piecing. Dawn dish detergent (original only) and Synthrapol are used to keep excess dyes for settling on other fabrics in the wash. I have used Retayne successfully....follow the directions on the bottle.

tessagin 11-07-2015 06:35 AM

I use the shout color catchers and a white cotton terry towel. I wash in hot water and throw into a hot dryer with the color catchers. Helps to keep dye from tainting inside of dryer. BTW I've been using Clorox cleanup on the inside of my dryer. Helps with any residue from bleeds.

sailsablazin 11-07-2015 07:46 AM

My advice is to drive the 35 miles to buy the Retayne---treat yourself to lunch at the same time!
I LOVED a green batik (had 9 yards of it) and washed it with color catchers (6 in all after I finally got the process completed). I tried the vinegar, salt, everything that anyone suggested and it continued to bleed.
FINALLY my sister-in- law suggested Retayne or "throw the fabric out." I loved it too much (and am too frugal to throw it out.) After washing with Retayne, I had no further problems. This fabric has been washed 7 times and I haven't put it on the quilt yet. It truly did not loose any color after all of that washing either.
I am going to buy Retayne by the gallon (There is a company that sells it this way). Learned my lesson. ANY fabric with any doubt----wash it with Retayne. Retayne is not that expensive and WORKS!!!!

You can also keep your jeans looking new for a longer time if you use Retayne!

Farm Quilter 11-07-2015 09:53 AM

I have washed a fabric up to 21 times to get the bleeding to stop...just takes time and patience!!

ghostrider 11-07-2015 01:17 PM

Without a doubt, go get some Retayne. It'll take less time, money, and frustration to go to the LQS now than it will to try a bunch of unsuccessful home remedies only to wind up throwing Color Catchers at it for the next 5 years or so. If you really don't want to drive for some reason, order it online.

AnnaF 11-07-2015 02:04 PM

You need to use Synthrapol...that will catch the loose dye in the fabrics. To be safe I might put it thru a second time if you got a lot of dye leeching. You can find the product at any quilt shop I would imagine.. It does work!!!