Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Black Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/black-fabric-t299455.html)

Jingle 09-10-2018 07:19 PM

Cotton/ poly blends are great for kids quilts. They withstand lots of use and laundering, they don’t shrink, bleed or fade.[/QUOTE]

What I was going to say. I found I had to lower iron temp., high heat will ruin the fabric and stick to the iron.

lindaschipper 09-11-2018 02:54 AM

bkay.....I purchased 2 yards of Amish Black from Keepsake Quilting about two years ago. I've only used 5 inches of the fabric so I have a yard and 31 inches left. If you can use this I'll send it to you as I HATE working with black fabric. Just repay the postage is all I ask. You can send me a private message with your answer.

illinois 09-11-2018 04:01 AM

I wonder if you are smelling the poly because the iron is too hot for that fabric? Yes, to poly blends for color fastness and for durability. It will probably be cheaper to purchase, as well. And, yes, you can put the blend with other fabrics. Think what your great-grandmother used! One of my first quilts was a whole cloth that I purchased poly blend fabric because I like the sheen of it. To each his own but, if you like it, use it!

GingerK 09-11-2018 04:10 AM

I too have used broadcloth when I could not find the right shade of navy for a baby quilt. I felt it was thinner than the other fabrics in the quilt. But since I was using it for sashing--2 inch strips--I just used two layers. I also made a point of shrinking all my other fabrics before assembly. I did not want uneven shrinkage later.

The quilt was a baby gift from my DIL to a friend and she said it must have been much loved because it appeared in many baby and family pictures from her friend.

sewvicki 09-11-2018 05:03 AM

Timeless Treasures has a black fabric and the name is "Jet". I use it exclusively. I always prewash dark fabrics and I have prewashed this particular fabric using a color catcher and it has never faded. But there is always a first time. Prewash to be safe and certain.

klswift 09-11-2018 07:10 AM

Joannes does not call all their solids Kona - only the Konas. They carry Country Classic (the 100% cotton) and Symphony (the least expensive and thinner solids). A Kaufman Kona will be marked as a Kaufman Kona.

WMUTeach 09-12-2018 03:16 AM

On a whim I purchased "Amish Black" from Keepsake Quilting. I love it. It feels good, like good quality fabric should. It is smooth, no texture from the weaving process and does not fray excessively. It is on sale from time to time. I would purchase it again.

ClairVoyantQuilter 09-12-2018 03:22 AM

Moda Basic Solids in black is great. I’ve never had any of the colors bleed . . .and it’s not see thru.

Sandygirl 09-12-2018 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by bkay (Post 8124736)
I think you are mistaken. It's said over and over again that some Kona fabric is not Kona fabric. I personally spoke with the Robert Kaufman representative on the phone. He called me to tell me the fabric I sent was not Kona. He told me they sold to both Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's. He promised to look into the problem with the "not kona" fabric labeled as Kona.

Kona is a registered trademark for fabric sold by Robert Kaufman Companies. No one else can use it for fabric. To do so would be a trademark infringement and the perpetrator would be subject to criminal penalties.

Kaufman appears to use the Kona trademark for solid colors only. There is a company called Kona Bay fabrics. It seems to be a small company. The only Kona Bay fabrics I've seen are prints.

What bothers me about this often repeated story is that JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby end up being the bad guys in the consumer's mind. That is just not true and not fair to those companies. Kaufman either has lost control of their distribution system or is not selling what they claim to be selling to those companies.

In reality, if JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby were using the Kona trademark on non-Kaufman fabric, they would be sued for big bucks immediately.

(Can you tell this ugly situation really bothers me?)

bkay

Kona Bay closed down a couple of years ago. Ladies, head to a QUILT SHOP for your RK Kona Black .

Other black fabric that I love are Eclipse from Blank Quilting, Jet Black from Michael Miller (same exact fabric from the same mill as the Eclipse..fyi) Maywood Black Magic. These 3 are dyed to be BLACK. It does not gray-out when put next to other black fabrics. I always have a bolt of true black in my sewing stash. Shops will be happy to order a bolt for you, too.

Sandy

indycat32 09-12-2018 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by bkay (Post 8124592)
Thanks Cari, Tartan and Doggramma.

Yes, Doggramma, it is supposed to be the same fabric anywhere you buy it. However, the last few times I've bought it, it has been different from the last time I bought it. One time it had a texture almost like knitted fabric. I sent a sample to Kaufman to confirm that it was Kona. They said it wasn't Kona and take it back to Hobby Lobby. The next time I bought it, it looked and felt right. The last time I bought it, it was coarse and off color and did not match, even closely, the previous fabric.

So, I'm not buying any more Kona black. That's the reason for the question. I have to buy some kind of black fabric and don't want one that bleeds and fades. I have no idea what I would get this time labeled Kona.

bkay

I was at JoAnn's yesterday so checked out their "kona" fabric. The label on the bolt said "Kona Cotton Solids, Premium Quilt Solids" Robert Kaufman was not on the label. It is not Kaufman brand fabric.