Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Black and White quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/black-white-quilt-t102810.html)

19angel52 02-25-2011 03:41 AM

I don't think it's a necessity to use a 3rd color - but it sure does add a touch of zing to the quilt....which surprised me. I sent a bunch of black and white FQs to someone to make a quilt for charity...and added just for grins a red FQ. Wow - that made the quilt really stand out - just one simple red FQ. Who knew.

Lucinda 02-25-2011 03:43 AM

That quilt is beautiful,my sister would love it

mary705 02-25-2011 03:43 AM

I agree, the black and white does look good, but a bright color for a zinger really pops out at you

justlooking 02-25-2011 03:58 AM

It's your quilt, goes by your rules, if you want it or not.

Aurora 02-25-2011 04:08 AM

Personally, I want a zinger in mine. But I like the idea of a zinger binding. That way it would zing front and back.

nunnyJo 02-25-2011 04:23 AM

Hi, Check out my Avatar. It was the first bl./wh. with a touch of dark red. Made another and sold it. nunnyJo

pieces 02-25-2011 05:04 AM

I think a zinger adds a touch of color to a black/white quilt.
I have chosen a quilt pattern to make for my granddaughter
for Xmas, just started collecting the fabrics. It is a black/white quilt with a 'zinger' fabric. It seems it adds a bit of color which adds to the overall design of the finished project.
But I imagine it may depend on the design. (?)

MTS 02-25-2011 05:16 AM

Personally, I think black & cream quilts are very different from black & white ones.

Generally (but not always) I think B&W's are so graphic, and lively, that a touch of hot pink, lime green, red, whatever, is in the same vein.

I LOVE B&W fabric and I have seen and liked many B&W only quilts that were fabulous. But I prefer them with a little zing - doesn't have to be a lot.

B&C, on the other hand, is a more sophisticated palette. Cream also has a lot more variety than white - you could get a range of values, tone on tones, and textures of just "cream" fabrics, which you can't do with white. I remember a cream only log cabin I saw at Sister's years ago. It was stunning, but had a gazillion cream fabrics in it - you couldn't have gotten the same effect with whites.

You can even see the difference in the nature of the fabrics available in each of the two colorways.

So it really depends on what your plan is for the finished project. Do you need/want it to match your decor? Are you looking for a more elegant setting?

I don't think it's a yes or no question. I think it would/could look great either way.

olebat 02-25-2011 05:22 AM

That is a heavily discussed subject in the art world too. It's a little element of surprise. Much like the lone red poppy in a golden field of wheat. Many people feel that a monochromatic painting or quilt,(and a quilt is a work of art,)needs a little something to add interest. I'm back to the feeling that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Do it your way. If, after you finish, you think it is dull, appliqué a small, bright, flower which will blend with the room in which the quilt will be displayed. If the appliqué stinks, it can easily be picked off.

BabyCakes 02-25-2011 05:35 AM

Take a look at the pattern dancing stars by cozyquilt.com.You will see black and white with a pop of color.