Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is Blanket Stitch Appliqué Strong Enough to Launder? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/blanket-stitch-appliqu%E9-strong-enough-launder-t280298.html)

asabrinao 07-09-2016 08:58 AM

Is Blanket Stitch Appliqué Strong Enough to Launder?

Hi, Everyone,

I'm working on a bed quilt for a queen-sized bed. It calls for lots of patches appliquéd onto it. My favorite method for appliqué is to fuse and then sew with a blanket stitch. This quilt will be laundered a lot and I've heard that blanket stitch appliqué shouldn't be used for something that will go through the wash regularly. Is this true? Or is it still possible using a stronger thread and adjusting number of stitches?

I don't know if it changes anything, but I plan on using good quality flannel (Maywood Studios). My usual thread for appliqué is Aurifil 50/2 (using a short stitch for as invisible effect as possible).

Would a silk thread be better?

Thanks!

ManiacQuilter2 07-09-2016 09:03 AM

I'm really not sure. I have used Mettler Silk wrapped thread when I did a lot of buttonhole or blanket stitching especially when I made Sunbonnet Sue quilts. I certainly made sure that I knotted the thread on the back so nothing would come undone. I would not want to wear out any applique quilt with excessive washing.

ckcowl 07-09-2016 09:29 AM

I've been blanket stitching appliqués for 20+ years. I've never had one come off due to laundering. I hate satin stitched appliqués, they are so stiff, I always use a blanket stitch. I often use aurifil thread, sometimes silk when I have the right color & don't have it in aurifil ( I generally save my silk threads for hand work)

Tartan 07-09-2016 11:09 AM

I used Wonder Under and machine blanket stitched around the flowers on a flower basket quilt for my son and daughter in law. It has been laundered regularly for 6 years and I noticed the edges are fraying but nothing loose yet.

Bree123 07-09-2016 12:04 PM

It depends on the size of your stitch. I like to use a 1/8" stitch (meaning it goes into the applique 1/8" & then goes over 1/8" along the edge before the next stitch). I've even done them by hand back when all I had was a vintage Singer and they have held up well to regular washings. I fused with Pellon 805. I leave a 1/2" window to be sure the edges are securely fused. I use Aurifil 50/2 for cotton applique & Aurifloss for wool or felt applique.

Dolphyngyrl 07-09-2016 01:43 PM

the edges fray a little but don't come loose. I have used it on clothes

applique 07-09-2016 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 7598074)
the edges fray a little but don't come loose. I have used it on clothes

Fray Block along the edges helps with the fraying.

carolynjo 07-10-2016 06:09 PM

I have not had any trouble with the blanket stitch coming apart. Knowing that the quilt would be laundered frequently, I might not choose to applique it, but piece it instead. Just MHO.

Geri B 07-10-2016 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by carolynjo (Post 7598963)
I have not had any trouble with the blanket stitch coming apart. Knowing that the quilt would be laundered frequently, I might not choose to applique it, but piece it instead. Just MHO.

or when appliquing, rather than raw edge using wonder under type fusible web, use a non woven fusible or non fusible (your choice) interfacing.....then there would be no raw edges and frequent washing shouldn't be a prob.

Vicki1212 07-10-2016 09:49 PM

I made my granddaughter a quilt with lots of applique, fused and then blanket stitched by machine. She is now two years old and as you can imagine, the quilt gets washed rather often. So far, everything is holding fast. No loose threads and no fraying edges, just a lovley soft quilt.