Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Blanket Stitch reinforcing itself... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/blanket-stitch-reinforcing-itself-t98207.html)

mugirl113 02-09-2011 11:31 AM

So, I haven't posted much here...I am definitely a lurker, but you guys were the first people I thought of when Google didn't help. :-)

I just bought a new Brother PC420 a few weeks ago and am in the process of teaching myself how to applique on it. I have been taking all of the suggestions on here and playing with different stitches and widths and lengths.

My issue is this: my machine has a default blanket stitch (which I LOVE the look of) but for some reason instead of making the L and than going forward to the next one, it takes a step back and reinforces the previous straight line (on the outside of the applique) before going forward to start the next L. I have tried turning off reinforcement and that didn't help.

I see the perfect looking blanket stitches on here and mine are very heavy looking because of that extra stitch on every straight line. I am trying to not have to design my own stitch but that is what it is looking like.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

kathy 02-09-2011 11:33 AM

my janome does that too, i think it looks fine

sharon b 02-09-2011 11:36 AM

My Brother cs6000i Also does that - and it looks fine also- just might leave a bit bigger hole then you might think/like :wink: But after seeing all the other applique I was worried for nothing- that is the way they are :thumbup:

Prism99 02-09-2011 11:45 AM

My machine does not make that extra stitch, but the stitch I use is called a blind hem stitch (not blanket stitch). Is there another stitch on your machine called a blind hem? The blind hem stitch is the type used a lot on curtains.

mugirl113 02-09-2011 11:58 AM

I will look for the blind hem stitch. Thanks for the info! I guess I just need to jump in and not worry so much about the details.

sewwhat85 02-09-2011 01:38 PM

one of my machine does that for the knit stretch stitch but there is also a stitch that looks the same but doesnt do the back stitch look to see if there is another stitch that look the same

nativetexan 02-09-2011 01:46 PM

I have two on my Janome. the larger one is great but the smaller one does that, going backwards too. makes holes I don't like.

Tinabodina 02-09-2011 01:50 PM

My Brothers does that also. It just took some time to get used to seeing it that way. Now it doesn't bother me at all.

pumpkinpatchquilter 02-09-2011 02:03 PM

Hmm, I wish I were more familiar with different machines, but I don't know how you could change that, if at all. I am sewing on a very economical Simplicity Quilters Classic myself and it does not do that reinforcing stitch. I can really see how that would be a pain in the butt!

I might try using a very fine needle when using that stitch to avoid the holes and maybe a fine thread as well, like a polyester or poly/cotton (unless you don't like those threads, many people don't). I'll be curious to follow up with this post and see how your problem is resolved! Good luck! ;)