Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Blanket vs Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/blanket-vs-quilt-t297957.html)

Tothill 06-30-2018 09:33 AM

Blanket vs Quilt

I have seen several posts over the years where the term 'blanket' was considered derogatory when referring to a quilt.

I think it is important to keep in mind that for many people 'blanket' is not a dirty word. When someone refers to a quilt as a blanket they are not being disrespectful, nor intending to cause offence.

In Canadian First Nations culture a Morning Star Blanket is a beautiful 45 degree star quilt, or Lone Star Quilt.

For many non quilters, bedcoverings are blankets, whether they are woven, knit, crochet, or a quilt. A baby blanket could be a handmade quilt, something bought at Target, knit or crochet. A 'Thank you for the blanket' is a thank you no matter what term the recipient has used to describe the gift.

I come from a fairly multicultural family with family on every continent except Antarctica, even those of us that speak English use different terms to describe the same item. I believe it is important to accept that we may use different terminology, and not get our knickers in a knot if someone else's trunk is my boot.

Stitchnripper 06-30-2018 09:35 AM

At my first quilting group one of the women referred to her projects as blankets. All of them. We teased her a little but nothing serious. It was a good group and we all got along well.

bearisgray 06-30-2018 09:39 AM

Hear ! Hear !

I agree - when someone calls a quilt a blanket - I do not think that should be considered an insult.

Cover - blanket - comforter - bankie - quilt - duvet -

Even "quilts" can be further "divided" - pieced, whole cloth, tied, machine-quilted, hand-quilted - etc etc etc etc

I would guess that many - little children, especially - call their cover-ups something other than "quilt."

As far as that goes - I don't think many little kids refer to their quilt as "quilt" -

Do they?

Onebyone 06-30-2018 09:43 AM

When someone calls my quilts a blanket I say that's funny because I do quilting not blanketing. LOL

ckcowl 06-30-2018 09:46 AM

Absolutely!
I never understood why anyone would become so ( offended) by their quilt being referred to as a blanket. If they are using it on a bed, on top of a sheet, to them it is probably a blanket.
Too many people are ( sweating the little stuff) and taking offense over things that just don’t change anything. I like what you said about “ a thank you is a thank you “. be gracious, kind and cheerful - our differences are what make our lives what they are. :)

osewme 06-30-2018 02:43 PM

I don't care what people call my quilts as long as they use & love them. :)

Jingle 06-30-2018 03:10 PM

We have a friend whom I have made two quilts for. He called the first one a blanket, I sure told him the difference between blankets and quilts. Now he only refers to his quilts as quilts.

It was said in good fun and we laughed about it. I did get my message across to him. We live in the same area, he just didn't know.

nativetexan 06-30-2018 04:06 PM

My UPS lady was telling me she wanted to put her son's boy scout badges onto squares and then onto a blanket. Later i realized she was probably meant making a quilt.

SusieQOH 07-01-2018 04:56 AM

I'm not upset by the interchange of the words. Most people don't know much about quilting unless they do it or have someone close to them who does. I don't think it's malicious on their part.

A long time ago my sister bought one of those knock-off quilts. She had no idea the difference but I gave her an education fast! haha
We still laugh about it. By the way, she got rid of it!!!!!!!!

feline fanatic 07-01-2018 05:50 AM

I do agree but I still get an involuntary inner shudder when someone calls one of my quilts a blanket. Even before I ever took my first stitch on a quilt I did differentiate between the two.