Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bleached muslin versus white fabric - help. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bleached-muslin-versus-white-fabric-help-t200901.html)

nhweaver 09-19-2012 05:13 AM

Bleached muslin versus white fabric - help.

I have been shopping for white fabric, there are so many choices and price differences. Finances are a bit tight right now, so I went to jo ann's for the coupon comotion sale. the solids were already on sale, and then I looked at the muslin area, the most expensive 90" wide bleached muslin actually looked like a better quality than the most expensive white fabric they carry (less lint sized in with the threads that the reg solids). It was made in USA also - important to me. With the 50% off it was 5.50 a yard, I bought 5 yards. Is bleached muslin okay to mix with regular cotton.

Pat625 09-19-2012 05:20 AM

I use muslim all the time...never hadg.. a problem, and I like the feel of it too..I use it a lot in my quilts and as backin

ArtsyOne 09-19-2012 05:28 AM

Muslin has a different "hand" than, for instance, Kona solids so I use both depending on what the colored fabric will be and what kind of feel I want to bring to the final design.

susie-susie-susie 09-19-2012 05:32 AM

I bought a bolt of that muslin--same width--and it lasted for a long long time. I used it for everything and anything. It is very versatile and easy to sew. It is a very good buy. Have fun trying to use it up!!! 5 yards of 90 inch wide fabric is equal to 10 yards of regular fabric, so your purchase equals $2.75 a yard. Not too bad IMHO.
Sue

DebbE 09-19-2012 05:33 AM

You're just fine with that -- I use it often myself as I love scrappy quilts. If I'm doing a quilt with fine fabrics then I make sure all of the fabrics have the same 'hand'. That's the only time I worry about it.

lynnie 09-19-2012 06:05 AM

Ive used it many times,very economical

ontheriver 09-19-2012 06:14 AM

I use muslin all the time also. Last week I was in Walmart looking for white fabric and I found some great white in with the muslin, it was very nice, great weight and thread count. It was about 8.00 a yard but it was 108 inches wide, so it was like 2 or more yards in one. I bought a bunch as I use a lot of white.

Neesie 09-19-2012 06:33 AM

I love good muslin! Just make sure you pre-wash it! :)

irishrose 09-19-2012 06:44 AM

Just make sure to prewash it - this is one I'd dry completely. Once you do that, then use it anywhere. I don't worry about fabrics having the same hand. Once they're cut and sewn, they go together just fine, IMO.

karenpatrick 09-19-2012 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5525603)
Just make sure to prewash it - this is one I'd dry completely. Once you do that, then use it anywhere. I don't worry about fabrics having the same hand. Once they're cut and sewn, they go together just fine, IMO.

I agree. I use bleached and unbleached muslin all the time. Sometimes for backing as well.