Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bleeding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bleeding-t1238.html)

grandma 06-10-2007 01:32 PM

Well, my friends, I have a problem. :( I have made four rag quilts for four graduating seniors. They turned out just fine using the "turning twenties" pattern. Two of them have red flannel in them. I washed one, (red, white, and blue) and put in some stuff called Retayne that I thought was suppose to set the colors. Well, I guess it did but I now have a red, magenta and blue quilt. I'm not sure what to do. I washed it again and again but it is still magenta. I will probably try to cut out the white (magenta) material and try to replace it and if that doesn't work, make another quilt. Anyway, my problem : The other quilt with red flannel I still need to wash. Is there anything I can put in the water that will stop the red from bleeding. This quilt is red and black, so maybe I'll be OK but I'm afraid to take the chance. Somewhere I remember you can put white vinegar in. Does that help any? Re-reading the directions on the bottle of Retayne, I see that you are suppose to wash the fabric in the Retayne before you put it in the quilt but -- mine is already in. Any great advice would be very helpful as I am one sad lady.

Knot Sew 06-10-2007 01:53 PM

Red and black should be ok but you really have to wash first before sewing. Rit makes a dye remover, but I don't think it will remove a lot of it. so sorry you had this happen. :cry:

patricej 06-10-2007 02:19 PM

If the magenta is solid or a nice marbley, go ahead and give it. I'll bet it's a hit anyway.

If not to the graduating senior, then to a local shelter. It will be loved.

thimblebug6000 06-10-2007 03:31 PM

Hi there, I've been reading this site for a few days, as it was posted on the kayewood site as a link. I hope you don't mind me jumping in with my suggestion. I wash any quilt that has strong colours in it, with a product called Colour Catcher from OxiClean - it's a little sheet sort of like those dryer sheets. It really works, however I also prewash all my fabrics before I sew with them. At the moment I have a small red square of fabric "bleeding" in the sink in HOT water....if it doesn't quit bleeding, I don't use it. Alot of quilters prefer to use unwashed fabrics, but after a couple nightmares I prefer to be safe than sorry. As far as getting rid of the red that has bled into the white, if you use vinegar I think it might set it rather than help get rid of it. I did have a navy bleed into a white on one quilt, I just kept washing & washing it in the bathtub, and after about 6 times, you have to look very carefully to see any trace of the navy in the white. I hope you can keep washing your quilt but not putting it into any heat source, until most of the excess dye is removed from the white.

Yvonne 06-10-2007 06:22 PM

I heard of another lady who had a red bleed all over her white in a quilt. She washed and washed and used the dye magnets and other stuff. I can't remember what all she did use. She finally got it to a point that she could live with it. Reds are so notorious for bleeding. Argh! In this day and age they should have that problem solved, you'd think!
Anyway, keep washing. How's about some Chlorox 2? Would that help clean up the white and not bleach out the red and blue? I'd consider trying it.

BarbC 06-11-2007 12:38 PM

[quote=thimblebug6000]with a product called Colour Catcher from OxiClean - it's a little sheet sort of like those dryer sheets. It really works, however I also prewash all my fabrics before I sew with them. quote]

Shout makes Color Catcher sheets also. I use these a lot and they work great! I prewash also. Barb C

grandma 06-11-2007 06:44 PM

Thank you ladies. So nice to have a place to go that understands your problems, doesn't make fun of you, and offers good sound advice. From this I have learned to wash fabrics before I sew, especially red. I probably won't forget this one for a long time. Until next problem ......... Thanks again.

susan s. 06-12-2007 05:27 AM

Try a cup of white vinegar and wash in cold. Preferably before sewing the fabric together so it can be washed and color set before combining with other colors. I do not sew any thing with out washing the fabric first. Unless you are using polyester! UGH! :)!

Carla P 06-12-2007 06:54 PM

This thread is a good reminder. Thanks Grandma.

penski 10-26-2007 08:59 AM

i had some bleeding happen to me on a rag quilt it was not a lot i had some black run off on a small white sectons and it turned to silver i used some Shout on the white let it soak and kinda rubbed it in re washed and it came out!!!