Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bleeding table runner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bleeding-table-runner-t75147.html)

Dreaming 11-08-2010 02:23 PM

My mom made a beautiful table runner. She marked it to quilt it and when she was done quilting, she sprayed it with water to remove the blue markings. Her fabric ended up bleeding when it got wet and ran into the white fabric. Is there anything she could do to get the color that bleed into her white out of the white? Also, I was just reading on the site about Retayne. Let's say that you put a quilt in the washer to treat it with Retayne and some of the fabrics bleed, will the Retayne stop them from bleeding on the other fabrics while it's in the washer being treated? Any help will be much appreciated. :-)

Charlee 11-08-2010 02:26 PM

Retayne will not stop the initial bleed,but sets the remaining dye so that it doesn't bleed again after the first wash.

If you didn't prewash a project and you're worried about bleeding, use Synthrapol...(SP?) it acts as a color catcher! :)

Dreaming 11-08-2010 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Retayne will not stop the initial bleed,but sets the remaining dye so that it doesn't bleed again after the first wash.

If you didn't prewash a project and you're worried about bleeding, use Synthrapol...(SP?) it acts as a color catcher! :)

So can you us them both together? One to catch the colors that bleed and one to set the dyes?

kathy 11-08-2010 02:33 PM

no, synthaprol is to WASH, retayne goes in the RINSE

Prism99 11-08-2010 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dreaming

So can you us them both together? One to catch the colors that bleed and one to set the dyes?

No. Once the quilt is made, your only hope is to use Synthrapol. Synthrapol suspends unset dye particles in water so they can be rinsed away. Depending on the bleed, the table runner may need several washings in Synthrapol for all of the bleed to be removed; or, the bleed may not be entirely removed (if some of it has already been set into the fabric). It helps to use a *lot* of water with the Synthrapol in a situation like this, to encourage the unset dye particles to diffuse through the water. Once there is no more visible bleeding into the water, if there is still some bleed showing in the white fabric, it may be worth trying Biz or a colorfast type powdered bleach in the wash water.

Retayne *sets* dye into fabric. That's why you would never want to use it in a completed quilt; it would permanently set any bleed. Retayne needs to be used on a fabric before it is used in a quilt.

mimiknoxtaylor 11-09-2010 05:21 AM

Dreaming, this also happened to me with a lap quilt. I initally washed the quilt. The hot pink ran onto the white & light pink. I found the Spray & Wash color catcher sheets at the grocery store with the laundry supplies. Washed the quilt again (it had also been dried) this time with the color catcher. It took all the pink out of the lighter colors & now the quilt looks like it should. Good luck. If you can't find the color catchers just PM me & I'll mail you a couple.
Joyce :-)

Lori S 11-09-2010 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99

Originally Posted by Dreaming

No. Once the quilt is made, your only hope is to use Synthrapol. Synthrapol suspends unset dye particles in water so they can be rinsed away. Depending on the bleed, the table runner may need several washings in Synthrapol for all of the bleed to be removed; or, the bleed may not be entirely removed (if some of it has already been set into the fabric). It helps to use a *lot* of water with the Synthrapol in a situation like this, to encourage the unset dye particles to diffuse through the water. Once there is no more visible bleeding into the water, if there is still some bleed showing in the white fabric, it may be worth trying Biz or a colorfast type powdered bleach in the wash water.

Retayne *sets* dye into fabric. That's why you would never want to use it in a completed quilt; it would permanently set any bleed. Retayne needs to be used on a fabric before it is used in a quilt.

I agree completely.

ckcowl 11-09-2010 09:43 AM

synthropol is the stuff you need to put in the wash to keep migrant colors from getting on other items/fabrics in the wash
try some oxyclean in the wash to get out what bled, but i have really never had any luck saving what had dye run on. good luck.

DawnMarie 11-10-2010 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by mimiknoxtaylor
Dreaming, this also happened to me with a lap quilt. I initally washed the quilt. The hot pink ran onto the white & light pink. I found the Spray & Wash color catcher sheets at the grocery store with the laundry supplies. Washed the quilt again (it had also been dried) this time with the color catcher. It took all the pink out of the lighter colors & now the quilt looks like it should. Good luck. If you can't find the color catchers just PM me & I'll mail you a couple.
Joyce :-)

I recently used the Shout Color Catcher on one of my quilts. I was worried because I didn't pre-wash my teal batik and the majority of the rest of the quilt was white. I put a few of the Color Catchers in with the quilt and nothing bled. The Color Catchers absorbed all of the teal dye. Definitely give them a try!

LoisN 11-10-2010 02:15 PM

I had that problem with a quilt and soaked it in Biz detergent and then washed it in Biz and all the misplaced dye came out. It was a miracle. I thought the quilt was ruined.