Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Blessed at a Yard Sale (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/blessed-yard-sale-t190463.html)

Sewhappytoquilt 05-31-2012 08:41 AM

Blessed at a Yard Sale

Well, I think I was just blessed today at a yard sale. A woman's mother had passed away and the daughter was selling a huge box of completed quilt blocks , books, patterns, etc. She wanted $20 for the whole lot. I only bought a baggie of cut Hawaiian 4"squares and almost the book, as I really didn't need completed blocks. ( I like to get fabric to make my own). Any way, I told her if it didn't sell, rather than throw it out, give it to the Sr. Center because our quilt group makes charity quilts. Well, before I left, she GAVE me the entire box (book included). After I got home, I think I can put together at least 5 lap quilts for charity! I wrote her a short thank you note and did a happy dance.

Blue's quilting mama 05-31-2012 08:44 AM

Wow, sounds like you will be busy. Makes you wonder what will happen to all our things, when we no longer need them?????

Sewhappytoquilt 05-31-2012 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Blue's quilting mama (Post 5255953)
Wow, sounds like you will be busy. Makes you wonder what will happen to all our things, when we no longer need them?????

Hahaha - I know - I am just finishing 4 rag quilts for my grandchildren and preparing myself for "ho-hum" responses, as they are not "toys". My husband said, "Oh, they'll probably end up in a yard sale some day"

jlm5419 05-31-2012 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Sewhappytoquilt (Post 5255963)
Hahaha - I know - I am just finishing 4 rag quilts for my grandchildren and preparing myself for "ho-hum" responses, as they are not "toys". My husband said, "Oh, they'll probably end up in a yard sale some day"

Yes, I expect all of my things will end up in a yard sale when I'm gone. So far, only one of my DGK has shown any interest in sewing. Maybe when they're older. I have more than enough machines to give each of them one, but who knows if they will be interested in my vintage machines.

Daylesewblessed 05-31-2012 09:56 AM

Sewhappytoquilt,

This is an example of a win/win/win situation. It is a situation where blessings multiply. Lots of people are too shy about talking about their charity quilting. They shouldn't be - it might be just the opportunity that the donor needs to move something on where it will be appreciated and used. The memory of the original owner is honored, which is in contrast to selling her things dirt cheap or putting them in the dumpster.

Enjoy making beautiful quilts from those blocks!

Dayle

MaryMo 05-31-2012 09:58 AM

I'm hoping a quilter will find my stuff just as I found others. My plan is to keep somebody's stash growing!

QuiltnNan 05-31-2012 10:16 AM

What a heartwarming story. It's great to hear about the good in people.

sharon b 05-31-2012 10:16 AM

I bet her Mom is smiling down and pleased as punch to know that her quilts will be finished and loved :)

barny 05-31-2012 01:23 PM

And by the way, the giver is blessed by giving. And you the quilter will be too for finishing them.

Jingle 05-31-2012 01:46 PM

Lucky you, so glad you got her quilting stuff so you can make charity quilts to give to others. My oldest Daughter makes quilts, other Daughter and two DGDs are not interested in sewing. I told Oldest DD and DGD to find find a group that makes quilts and give my stuff to them.