Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Block of the month costs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/block-month-costs-t145689.html)

Scissor Queen 08-16-2011 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
There was one BOM online, and the pattern alone was also available. The patterns alone were $24-$26. The kits were likewise higher priced than most others.

As was said before, not to criticize but just to understand why the prices are so high. Maybe it is the creator's name that was costing so much. I don't know. Just inquiring.

Yup, when you do find just the pattern each block pattern can be 20 bucks plus. I have found a couple of fairly old BOM patterns for $65 for all 12 patterns but they were out of print and the shop's last one or two unsold patterns.

You're also paying full retail for the fabrics. A lot of times the fabrics are only available as a BOM to start with and you'll only find them on the shelf after the shop has sold all of the kits.

They're pretty expensive for the shops to get into to start with.

Flying_V_Goddess 08-16-2011 09:00 PM

$30 a block???

christina d 08-17-2011 03:17 AM

I would just get the patterns and pick my own fabrics usually you can buy the same fabric and it is alot cheaper than the price they charge for a kit.The kits are great for some people but I cannot justify the cost or paying a start up fee

NJ Quilter 08-17-2011 03:42 AM

I don't have any online BOM experience - only my LQS. There it's typically a $5-$10 fee for first block. If you complete your block by the following month's meeting date, that month's block is free. You then purchase the finishing kit from the shop with either their choices for sashings/borders/backing or your own selections. They usually offer several different colorways and sizes raning from lap to king. I've ended up with a king top/back for about $250. I like doing this because there are usually a variety of techniques throughout the year and gives me a chance to practice those I'm not as familiar with.

hobbykat1955 08-17-2011 03:54 AM

Have you joined any of the BOM's here on the site...I joined the three...Hses, Stars and Balt Blocks...they are great...

BellaBoo 08-17-2011 05:08 AM

If you are going to make the quilt that comes in a BOM then I think the price equals out to about the same if you had to go buy all the fabric of the same quality. The time you save is worth the extra dollars. I count my time in money when deciding if the cost is worth it.

mama's place 08-17-2011 05:33 AM

If it's something I just LOVE and feel that the fabrics just Make the quilt, I might do it if I felt that I could afford it. I've only seen one that I felt that way about but didn't have the money at the time. Also, I don't live near a quilt shop or fabric store so that would limit my access to those particular fabrics..if they were specific ones. If you had to search all those fabrics out, it could take a lot of time. All those things could affect your decision. The one I loved is the Primitive Garden one shown recently on here. Just love it.

Rose Marie 08-17-2011 05:47 AM

Its not my thing to waste that much money that could be spent on more fabric.
I will buy a new Quilt in a Day book with Joanns coupons then go on QIAD website and buy the same material that is in the book and make the quilt.
Kits are very reasonable thru Connecting Threads also. Just got the new catalog and love the new fabric lines.
The only BOM quilt I was crazy about was the Back To Nature quilt but found the kit at Hancock of Paducah instead, it was still expensive but not as much as BOM. You are paying so much for shipping each month.

romanojg 08-17-2011 06:18 AM

I do several BOM with or LQS. At mine we always have plenty of fabric to the block plus alot extra. It's high quality and then I'm also paying for the teachers time each month. I pay 30 each month. Now I'm lucky; mine are Civil War BOM's and we get lecture each month that goes along with the war and time frame and we learn about the block as well. Our teacher goes over the pattern with us and is in the store each Friday if we need help.

I would talk to the store; not all are the same. I know someone taking the same class as I but at a different store and she says she rarely has enough fabric to complete on block. Not all stores are the same; voice your concerns before you decide

dunster 08-17-2011 07:46 AM

I think BOM's rely on people paying extra for the convenience of not having to buy small bits of each of the fabrics in each block. Many people also join a BOM through a LQS for the companionship of making the quilt with other quilters. My LQS offers free group sessions for those participating in the BOM. I personally prefer to select fabrics from my stash, so my quilt is never the same as any other. For me, the price of most BOM's is too high. For someone else it might not be.