Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   blocking board suggestions ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/blocking-board-suggestions-t212134.html)

MO74 01-27-2013 07:08 AM

blocking board suggestions ?

So I've realized that I should be blocking my blocks before connecting them -:rolleyes:

My husband made me a great "big board" for my sewing room, about 60 X 30 inches on top of 2
utility cabinets with drawers for storage - it is great and I use it for cutting and pressing.

I would like to add a heat proof grid to it for blocking - but I don't trust myself to "DIY" with accurate
measurements. :(

Have seen the "Sew EZ" board online and wondering if any of you use that?

Or other suggestions ?

I have a gridded pad with pockets under my machine and don't want to have to pull it out and put it back everytime I want to block - or I may just buy another one, it is pretty handy.

Thank you - I am loving reading all the ideas in this forum !

Scissor Queen 01-27-2013 08:09 AM

Who told you you need to block a block before you sew them together? I square mine up with a big square ruler and a rotary cutter. I personally don't think blocking will get them any more square and accurate than just trimming them.

amandasgramma 01-27-2013 09:31 AM

Ditto what Scissor Queen says -- I wonder if someone that told you to do that meant "square up" the blocks.

ckcowl 01-27-2013 10:20 AM

i've never heard of anyone blocking their blocks- if a quilt is going into a show someone may want/need to block the finished quilt to make sure it hangs perfectly straight- but individual blocks should be just fine being squared- simply use a square ruler & trim the edges so the square is a square.

BellaBoo 01-27-2013 10:26 AM

That sounds like a waste of time unless you are are a perfectionist. Which I am so glad I'm not.

dunster 01-27-2013 10:29 AM

Okay, I have a slightly different opinion. I seldom square up my blocks. Instead I *try* to check measurements as I sew, to be sure that the block is at all times the right size. It seems to me that slicing off parts of the block after it is finished will mean that (1) I didn't sew it very carefully to begin with and (2) I will be removing bits that are necessary to keep points at the proper places. The exception is that some methods of sewing (e.g. for HST's) call for cutting a little large and then trimming to size for that unit only. As for blocking, I think careful pressing at each step will mean that blocking is unnecessary. (And no, I don't sew perfectly, but I'd rather rip and fix an area as soon as I've done it wrong than try to fix it when the block is finished.)

MO74 01-27-2013 11:16 AM

Thanks for the replies - I had read in several quilting books that squaring, although not necessary, is helpful.

I have been just trimmimg my finished blocks to almost perfect and that has helped a lot also. Guess I'll just continue doing it that way !