Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Blocks complete but some are too thin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/blocks-complete-but-some-too-thin-t254298.html)

yobrosew 09-24-2014 01:37 PM

Blocks complete but some are too thin

I really thought all the materials set aside for the latest quilt were good quality and "beefy". However, now that I am done with the blocks I see some are actually rather thin. Maybe it just seems that way in comparison to the strips of Moda and like included, which are deliciously dense without being uphostery fabric. They just seem wimpy to me and can't imagine the quilt being a long-laster as we wash ours frequently. Would fusible innerfacing extend the life of the fabric? Would it be suggested I do only the thinner blocks or all? Or not at all? Is there a particular type of batting that would be more appropriate for thinner material? Any ideas are welcome.

BrendaK 09-24-2014 01:47 PM

Thanks for asking this question as I have often wondered the same thing. I will be watching this post to see what is said. BrendaK

tellabella 09-24-2014 01:48 PM

I would just leave it ...when quilted the thin fabrics don't look so bad...it happened to me...

ManiacQuilter2 09-24-2014 01:54 PM

I use fusible sometimes when the seam allowance is just a little skimpy (being scraps that are donated). Even the featherweight fusible is added thickness. I would just quilt it and be a little more careful with the wear and tear on that quilt.

yobrosew 09-24-2014 02:11 PM

While we are on the subject of thickness. So, we buy cotton broadcloth, right? But we know all is not equal. Why is fabric not identified like sheets are, as in 200 count, 400 count, etc.,? Sure would be handy.

ckcowl 09-24-2014 02:20 PM

Fusible interfacing is always an option on thinner fabrics for adding stability and strength. It will help your quilt hold up to wear & tear/ use

sewelegant 09-24-2014 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by yobrosew (Post 6902584)
While we are on the subject of thickness. So, we buy cotton broadcloth, right? But we know all is not equal. Why is fabric not identified like sheets are, as in 200 count, 400 count, etc.,? Sure would be handy.

I have always though the same thing. Especially when I'm making pillowcases. It' sometimes hard to tell what will be really soft after being washed.

yobrosew 09-24-2014 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by sewelegant (Post 6902602)
I have always though the same thing. Especially when I'm making pillowcases. It' sometimes hard to tell what will be really soft after being washed.

Yes!!! I have often wondered if there is some sort of code in the numbers that indicate such....

nativetexan 09-24-2014 03:51 PM

use some light weight fusible interfacing that is permanent and used in clothing. It will hold them together well and it's not stiff or thick.

wolph33 09-24-2014 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 6902673)
use some light weight fusible interfacing that is permanent and used in clothing. It will hold them together well and it's not stiff or thick.

I would do this too.