Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Blooming Nine Patch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/blooming-nine-patch-t261875.html)

NorskeGirl 02-27-2015 09:17 AM

Blooming Nine Patch

Can anyone see a problem with doing a blooming nine patch in strips instead of a rectangle?

ManiacQuilter2 02-27-2015 09:22 AM

I have always cut strips making 9 patches. You will need to calculate how long of a strip you will need to make the number of 9 patches for each row.

QuiltnNan 02-27-2015 11:10 AM

how would you use a rectangle to make this quilt?
as maniac said, i use strips and subcut to make the nine-patches

Tartan 02-27-2015 12:19 PM

You can make strip stratas to cut your 3 square strips for your 9 patches. I would stitch the 3 sections together to make the individual 9 patches though. When you sew your 9 patches together you will get less distortion than if you try to sew long strips of squares like a Bargello.

NorskeGirl 02-27-2015 03:39 PM

Blooming nine patches

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7107896)
You can make strip stratas to cut your 3 square strips for your 9 patches. I would stitch the 3 sections together to make the individual 9 patches though. When you sew your 9 patches together you will get less distortion than if you try to sew long strips of squares like a Bargello.

Thank you all for your responses. I didn't make my question clear. I want my finished blooming nine patch quilt to be in horizonal stripes not to form a large rectangle. I haven't made one before, but I can imagine it easily. That doesn't mean that it could be made easily. I just want to know if there would be a problem with doing it that way that I'm not thinking of.

PaperPrincess 02-27-2015 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by NorskeGirl (Post 7108148)
Thank you all for your responses. I didn't make my question clear. I want my finished blooming nine patch quilt to be in horizonal stripes not to form a large rectangle. I haven't made one before, but I can imagine it easily. That doesn't mean that it could be made easily. I just want to know if there would be a problem with doing it that way that I'm not thinking of.

Ah, you want the colors to flow from one side to another, not out from the center. Don't see why that wouldn't work.

krafty14 02-27-2015 05:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Do you mean something like this??

Chester the bunny 02-27-2015 05:40 PM

Krafty14.....You're brilliant!
Hope this is what you were thinking NorskeGirl.
I know I'm thinking this is a great idea, I just got the book with the pattern in it and was considering alternatives to the rectangle, such a curve. This helps me picture it better. Thanks Krafty14.

QuiltnNan 02-27-2015 05:52 PM

i agree, flowing from one side to the other looks like a great layout

gigigray032447 02-28-2015 05:42 AM

For sure it would be easier to sew the rows together. I'm working on one now and to the point that it's larger than my design wall. Plan to buy a tarp for the garage floor, layer the king batting on top and lay out the blocks until I get them all made. At a standstill right now. Daughter bought 12 fabrics to flow from silver/gray to gray/aqua to teal. She does not like the gray/teal choice so Monday we are going to hit more stores in search of the perfect fabric to make that transition. If you have ideas for a light gray/stone base with aqua accents please tell me. My eyes are crossed from searching the internet for some ideas and stores where we can actually look at the fabrics with the before and after choices, which are stunning.