Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Blue jean quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/blue-jean-quilt-t248826.html)

meyert 06-24-2014 07:44 AM

Pattycakes - that is the exact same link I keep reading! They make it look so easy to do....I have actually gotten all of my circles and squares cut now. Next week I am on vacation and I hope to get busy sewing and maybe even finish the quilt!!!

meyert 06-24-2014 07:45 AM

Paula Fullager - I love your quilts especially the yellow one!

Koriana 08-24-2014 06:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Beautiful quilts...I've made a baby quilt out of denim scraps...but of course, still have plenty of scraps for more projects...I just can't throw out good denim...just because one of the boys ripped out the knees or grew out of his jeans. I've also saved all the embroidered jeans my daughter used to wear when she was little. Thanks for the posts to the other sites for more inspiration. Oh, here's a picture of the baby quilt I did. Thanks for looking and please keep posting other blue jean quilts.:thumbup:

quilt938 08-24-2014 06:23 PM

My friend made a huge probably king size raw edge frayed quilt from jeans using 4 patches and squares. I remember her telling me she nerve wanted to use the stretch jeans again. Might have been because if the size making it so heavy. She used warm and natural batting so that sucker was hot and very very heavy. I still want to make one! Hers was denim both sides. She made me a smaller quilt with the leftovers but not frayed just the regular pieced denim, batting, and the shirtless cowboys fabric! I did the binding in a red flannel bandana print.

MaryMo 08-24-2014 07:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've made several denim rag quilts and hope to soon get back to making more. Some of the jeans I used were 20 years old, some were mixed fabric content; all have turned out to serve their purpose ... utility quilt and dog quilts.

Here's a couple of pictures (front and back - no batting) of my favorite one:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]488948[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]488949[/ATTACH]

GrannieAnnie 08-24-2014 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by tucsonquilter (Post 6767805)
I have used both kinds and they worked fine. Here is one I did the faux cathedral window on and it frayed just great.

I love these quilts. But don't have enough jeans. Would have to buy denim

MaryMo 08-24-2014 07:20 PM

It's sad to hear you have to buy denim GrannieAnnie. I've had people give me old denims by the bagful; when I've had to buy them, I find thrift stores that gladly sell the ones that have been on their racks six months or more for $.25 a pair. Same with old shirts that I've used for the opposite side. I'm hoping you find someplace or somebody who'll help you out.

justflyingin 08-24-2014 10:08 PM

I am pretty sure you can use whatever you want...just "know your material". If you are working with stretch jeans or a stretch cotton mix, just make sure you don't stretch it when sewing. I've got double knit quilt tops people have given me. They work...

nancia 08-26-2014 07:05 AM

I made a denim and corduroy quilt in the '70's. I use 7"squares many with the flies, pockets and beltloops and buttons. , my roommate "stole "it,lol! Last year she sent me a post saying she was ready for a new quilt, even tho' the denim one was still going strong!