Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Blue vs green (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/blue-vs-green-t264823.html)

Onebyone 05-05-2015 09:50 AM

This is why I have an assortment of mats. Each one has a purpose. I seriously doubt the cutter knows if the blade is titanium or not. If the hole fits the cutter it will work.

bearisgray 05-05-2015 10:07 AM

Any of my mats seem adequate when my blade is nice and sharp.

As long as the mat is not all cut up. No mat will last forever if it is used a lot. Just take a look at some of the LQS cutting mats - there are grooves that almost go through to the back of the mat where they cut often.

gale 05-05-2015 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy (Post 7185771)
I don't think it's the colour...it's whether it's self-healing or not. I'm going to order an
X-Acto self-healing cutting mat (grey) because I just discovered that cutting dark
fabric on my green/black mat is almost impossible.

I don't think she really meant that the color matters. Just that the brand that makes green mats makes better mats than the brand that makes blue mats. My mat is purple.

Retiree 05-05-2015 12:44 PM

"Not sure if there's a thread on this....just sharing my experience. First off, I have a titanium rotary cutter. Did not intend to buy one, discovered when I got home that it required titanium blades. But I LOVE this cutter."

I didn't realize there were titanium cutters. I've been using the titanium blades in my usual cutter with no problems.

Latrinka 05-05-2015 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 7186703)
Free whipping?? What kind of place is the Joann's in your town? LMAO!! 50 shades of grey fabric...

(Sorry, I know that's just a typo, but it hit my funny bone and I couldn't resist!)

I laughed too, then laughed at myself for laughing at that! Go figure!

quiltjoey 05-05-2015 03:18 PM

I use a large yellow mat and have a smaller green one. Also have a yellow rotating one. Don't know all the brands. I do have 2 June Tailor's that I travel with. Don't have any problems with any of them unless the blade is dull…
I started out with a Fiskar's cutter way back and have a hard time trying to switch to others as I have used other ones at our retreats...

amandasgramma 05-05-2015 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7186943)
This is why I have an assortment of mats. Each one has a purpose. I seriously doubt the cutter knows if the blade is titanium or not. If the hole fits the cutter it will work.

My rotary cutter is an ergonomic one.....by Olfa. And it will NOT take a regular blade. :) I have to get titanium....believe me, I tried to use the cheaper ones. :)

amandasgramma 05-05-2015 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7186949)
Any of my mats seem adequate when my blade is nice and sharp.

As long as the mat is not all cut up. No mat will last forever if it is used a lot. Just take a look at some of the LQS cutting mats - there are grooves that almost go through to the back of the mat where they cut often.

Brand new....never used mat.....rotary cutter will NOT cut fabric well. It does cut, but skips.....beats me why, just does it. :)

mirish2 05-06-2015 04:52 AM

I have the Martelli mat which is lavender on one side and yellow on the other. Allows me to cut any color of fabric easily. Have some other mats, green and gray, which are used in traveling. My husband loves the large grey Fiskars mat for paper and for cutting old t shirts into rags.

bearisgray 05-06-2015 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma (Post 7187561)
Brand new....never used mat.....rotary cutter will NOT cut fabric well. It does cut, but skips.....beats me why, just does it. :)

Try a different blade or cutter?