Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bluebook value? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bluebook-value-t62317.html)

Candace 08-31-2010 05:48 AM

Is there a book somewhere that's available for prices on used sewing machines? I know I've googled for such a thing in the past and couldn't find much. I just saw a local ad selling a used long arm machine and it states, "Book value ______" Huh? What book?

akrogirl 08-31-2010 06:18 AM

I don't know where you can get one, but I do know that my local Baby Lock dealer has a copy because they got it out to price a used machine I was interested in buying. Of course, they aren't willing to pay the trade-in book price when you are selling to them.

If you are on good terms with one of your local dealers, maybe they would be willing to look up the price for you.

CoyoteQuilts 08-31-2010 06:35 AM

It is the same as a 'blue book' with autos. Someone has gathered information on items and put a value on older models. Usually for sewing machines the sewing machine dealers have them. That is their guide on trade in and resell prices on machines. These books had blue covers, hence the name 'blue book'.

Saying that, I have no idea where one could purchase one.

Candace 08-31-2010 06:52 AM

I don't care about finding a value for my machine at this moment, but I'd be interested in where you can buy this book!

akrogirl 08-31-2010 08:29 AM

I suspect that they only sell it to the trade, so to speak.

Kathy N 08-31-2010 08:34 AM

All sewing machine dealers have a copy of this book, that is how they judge the value of their trade-ins. You should be able to call a dealer and ask them to look up a machine's value for you. I used to do it all the time for customers when I worked at the Janome dealership.

Candace 08-31-2010 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by akrogirl
I suspect that they only sell it to the trade, so to speak.

I suspect you're right. And that's dumb IMHO. Whoever prints this book would sell a lot of copies if they give the public access! I'd probably buy one just to have in case I were interested in buying a used machine! It doesn't make sense to keep it secret. grumble, grumble, grumble...

sahm4605 08-31-2010 09:45 AM

what is anoying is for vehicals of all sorts you can get the blue book. why not for other "bluebook" worthy items?

mosquitosewgirl 08-31-2010 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Kathy N
All sewing machine dealers have a copy of this book, that is how they judge the value of their trade-ins. You should be able to call a dealer and ask them to look up a machine's value for you. I used to do it all the time for customers when I worked at the Janome dealership.

My dealer has done it for me several times...and they even went so far as to tell me what questions I should ask about the various machines, and things I should look for when "test driving".

Candace 08-31-2010 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl

Originally Posted by Kathy N

My dealer has done it for me several times...and they even went so far as to tell me what questions I should ask about the various machines, and things I should look for when "test driving".

Yeah, but we shouldn't have to go to a dealer to look at a stupid page in a book. I'll start muttering now, since I've already grumbled. mutter, mutter, mutter.