Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bobbin Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bobbin-question-t313268.html)

Railroadersbrat 11-27-2020 10:20 AM

Bobbin Question

Okay, so my sewing machine owner's manual said to only use Class 15 bobbins, so when I decided to get a set of them because I only had a few, I bought Class 15 bobbins.

Sadly, they're not fitting correctly, some won't even go onto the spindle and the ones that do go on are actually so tight that I have to use both hands to pull them off. I was able to wind four bobbins because they slipped on and off easily, but I'm getting some horrendous bird's nests if I'm not paying attention and my tension has been thrown off, too.

I haven't had to buy bobbins in years, so the fact that the bobbins aren't fitting has really thrown me off and I'm wondering has the standard changed (meaning the actual size) or am I just unfortunate to buy so many bad bobbins at once?

Onebyone 11-27-2020 10:27 AM

This may help.

https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bl...y-sewist-know/

Rhonda K 11-27-2020 10:45 AM

Did you purchase the original brand to match your machine? There may be an issue with the height or the center diameter. Have you tried using a pre-wound bobbin to see if the same issue happens?

My machine takes class 15 also. The package says the height is 7/16". This is for a brother machine.

ckcowl 11-27-2020 11:10 AM

What machine do you have?
live found only Viking bobbins work in my Viking and only singer bobbins work in my singers ( the singers only metal bobbins seem to work) sometimes our machines can be finicky when it comes to ( off brand) notions

juliasb 11-27-2020 11:25 AM

Most of my machines us a standard 15 bobbin. I have one that does not and it needs a bobbin that has a bit of a curve to it. I am watchful now that I know this to insure getting the right #15 bobbin to fit it. My Janome does not like other size bobbins and always plastic in this machine. Oh yeah I forgot about my Featherweights they take a totally different kind and size of bobbins.

quiltingshorttimer 11-27-2020 05:37 PM

many machines will only work with their own bobbins--like Viking, Pfaff, Husquvarna, some Singers, etc.

pennycandy 11-27-2020 06:16 PM

It is hit or miss with the new bobbins when it comes to my vintage/antique Singer sewing machines. I am having most of the same problems as you. Sometimes the class 15s will only go onto the bobbin winder on one side but not the other. Some do not have the little notch on the center edge and will not go onto the bobbin winder properly. It doesn't matter if it's Singer brand or off brand.
My antique Singer 66 does not like new plastic Singer brand bobbins at all. They cause all kinds of tension problems. i haven't tried new metal ones.

Off topic: As a fellow migrainer, I find it fascinating that Butters can alert you when you are going to have a migraine. Taking medication at the correct time can makes such a difference for me.

quiltedsunshine 11-27-2020 08:00 PM

Bernina bobbins look like regular 15 class bobbins, but they're a little different. A Singer 15 class bobbin has 10 holes in it, while a Bernina 15 class bobbin has only 7 holes in it. The Bernina bobbin center hole is tighter, and won't go on other brand bobbin winders, but should work in the machine.

You may also have a damaged bobbin. When they get bent, they can create pretty bad problems.

pocoellie 11-28-2020 05:10 AM

I've heard/read that some people have had trouble with the plastic bobbins not being the right size or something.

Railroadersbrat 11-28-2020 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by pennycandy (Post 8437455)
Off topic: As a fellow migrainer, I find it fascinating that Butters can alert you when you are going to have a migraine. Taking medication at the correct time can makes such a difference for me.

I'll write up something about Butters in the off-topic area soon, suffice it to say, my girl has helped me out of some pretty bad attacks. Because of the type of migraine I usually have, I actually can't take my meds until the pain actually hits, so when she signals, I basically have to slow down and watch her and myself until it happens, then she's glued to me until the attack is over.

Back on topic, I do not know who made my machine. It's an SS2402 Dressmaker and after emailing numerous companies to find out if they made it and finding out they didn't, I'm stuck. All I know is the manual says class 15 bobbins and that's it. It doesn't even say to use just metal bobbins or plastic.

I'll check the bobbins again for any burrs, I keep close tabs on my bobbin case, the bobbins I have that do work flawlessly, it's just the new ones that's giving me a fit.