Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   bobbin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bobbin-t122368.html)

AnnT 05-12-2011 08:31 AM

I use both for my Brothers and used both for my Singer. I never had any problems with either one.

k3n 05-12-2011 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Our local Janome repairman, an older experienced guy, tells us that plastic bobbins are weighted perfectly for Janomes, where metal are not.

Jan in VA

And not all plastic bobbins work in a Janome ... you need a Janome one.

Absolutely! I wonder if some of the ppl who complain about 'unfixable' tension issues when FMQing on a Janome are using cheap bobbins? Why would you spend a small fortune on a machine then skimp a few pounds (or dollars!) buying cheap bobbins? Makes no sense to me! :?

saf 05-12-2011 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Our local Janome repairman, an older experienced guy, tells us that plastic bobbins are weighted perfectly for Janomes, where metal are not.

Jan in VA

And not all plastic bobbins work in a Janome ... you need a Janome one.

As a newbie I was interested to read this. I have only used the bobbins that came with my machine at the moment but I will be careful when I buy some more. Thanks for the advice.

Qwiltylady 05-12-2011 09:10 AM

I use metal in all my really old heavy machines and I use plastic for all my newer plastic machines.

CorgiNole 05-12-2011 09:13 AM

I wasn't paying attention and bought Singer bobbins that are within millimeters of the bobbins for my machine. But the slight difference in size and the rounded versus flat bobbins make a huge difference - massive nests with the wrong bobbin.

When I went looking for bobbins for my Bernina, I was very careful to get the correct ones.

Cheers, K

bakermom 05-12-2011 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by ccthomas
I was so stupid I did not "see" that "Singer" bobbins were different heights. After spending a sewing doctor fee to learn that my "problem" was using the wrong height of a Singer bobbin, I would say YES, be careful. I felt so DUMB.

Brother bobbins are the same way. the size my ULT takes is SA 155 (3/8 inch). my DD's machine-a small, lightweight Brother takes a different size, SA156(1/2 inch).

Bev 05-12-2011 10:23 AM

Whatever bobbin was made for the machine

Same here. And yes, bobbins do make a difference. I've found that out through painful experience.
Now I use plastic Janome bobbins for my two Janomes, and I use metal Singer bobbins for my old Kenmore which was made by Singer. All of my machines have happy smiles on their sweet faces.

8-) :thumbup:

callie 05-12-2011 10:47 AM

Donna Mae - totally off of your subject, but your name brought back instant wonderful memories. My mother's name was Dona Mae and has been gone for 30+ years. Thanks for a quick memory of love. If you have a Janome - my guy says definitely use the plastic ones because the metal ones will ruin your machine.

butterflywing 05-12-2011 11:01 AM

my guy told me that if the bobbin will be sitting in a plastic "seat"
(bobbin case or bobbin chase) it should be plastic regardless of whether it's a drop-in or not. and vice versa for metal. they should always match up. it makes a huge difference in tension.

Iamquilter 05-12-2011 11:35 AM

I only use the bobbins made for my Bernina which are metal.