Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bobbin "thing" I learned yesterday (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bobbin-thing-i-learned-yesterday-t313077.html)

ktbb 11-12-2020 05:38 AM

Bobbin "thing" I learned yesterday

I was having problem with my bobbin thread skipping out of the tension channel and was at the point of taking it in for cleaning. One last try at cleaning out the bobbin area led me to notice that the bobbin case had gathered dust in the small diagonal channel where the thread was to have been - this dust collection prevented the thread from seating correctly. Using the point of a needle, I carefully pulled the dust out of the channel and it works perfectly....so check out that area if you have a problem with bobbin thread coming out of the tension area. And I was amazed at how much dust was in there and how impacted it was - came out in tiny clumps!

SusieQOH 11-12-2020 05:40 AM

That's a great reminder. I bought a new Bernina last year and got in the habit of cleaning it more frequently than I ever have with other machines. I actually like cleaning it out :)

Doggramma 11-12-2020 06:58 AM

Oh that’s a good tip!

Iceblossom 11-12-2020 07:05 AM

Lol, I mentioned in another post where sometimes a lot of especially FMQ issues can be solved with a good bobbin case cleaning.

Especially when it is one of those "but everything was fine yesterday" type of things.

I've been having problems with the thread sensor in my Bernina... finally a big piece of black thread was hanging out of the middle of the machine (which had been threaded with white thread for about a week now), and I pulled it out and things seem better now -- guess it really was having an issue even when I couldn't see anything.

I should go do some sewing, I left Bernie on over night because it's wanting particular settings on my thread right now. Usually I don't have to do much adjusting and can use the defaults (other than bringing down the stitch size) but for the last couple of days I have to make two adjustments (which then have to be redone if I turn the machine off).

leaha 11-12-2020 07:14 AM

great tip, thanks

juliasb 11-12-2020 07:56 AM

Thanks for the heads up! I never really thought about it quite that way.

CanoePam 11-12-2020 09:35 AM

I now make it a point after every bobbin change to take a good look at the bobbin case for that lint. It doesn’t take much to make for really odd results.

Tartan 11-12-2020 12:06 PM

I use a little brush to clean out my bobbin case, checking to make sure no fuzz in in tensioner. I use a pipe cleaner to clean any remaining fluff in the bobbin case. I remove the sole plate and clean around and under my feed dogs, then once everything is clean, I put a drop of oiled on the bobbin case and it is ready to go again.

sewingpup 11-12-2020 12:21 PM

Ice Blossom.....check your manual, some models allow to change settings that will hold your adjustments even when you turn your machine off. I would hate for you to have a power surge or something while your machine is on over night. I also have just taken a sticky note and noted my adjustment settings and stuck it on machine so it is easy to remember what the adjustment were. I do this all the time for my serpentine stitch when I am stitching down the binding from the front.

sewingsuz 11-12-2020 01:08 PM

Thanks for the great tip!