Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   bobbin thread coming up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bobbin-thread-coming-up-t71351.html)

vickiebouten 10-20-2010 05:07 PM

Okay so this is quite a quilting question but I don't know where else to turn! I have a Brother HE-240 sewing/embroidery machine. So far the machine is idiot proof and trust me it's my first machine but I am having a problem with my bobbin thread. I am in the middle of making a crazy quilt purse (I guess you could say it's almost quilting) I'm using velvet, silk and some other purple fabric. I decided to embroider on the velvet. The first section came out perfect. The next piece all the bobbin thread is showing on top and the top thread is well I don't know it seems to have blended (It's dark red rayon both threads are maybe that's the problem) into a really pretty pink on the underneath. I changed the tension to tighter and looser pulled out the bobbin thread and put back in, redid the upper thread and nothing seems to work. I was thinking of changing the bobbin to the dark red but got lazy and didn't sooo wish I had. I ripped up an old dress to use for the velvet so I'll never be able to match it up and I'm not sure I have enough fabric to do over so I'll have to live with it.
Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong and please don't tell me there is something wrong with my machine I will cry!
Thanks
Vickie

Ramona Byrd 10-20-2010 06:15 PM

I'm having the same problem with my cheapie Brother C-100. When I zig zag the bottom threads come up and mingle with the others, even after I've tried changing the tension. Other stitches, except the straight ones, have more or less this problem.

With straight stitching it works nicely, straight and looks good, back and front. Got so that I finally started putting the bottom and top threads match so it won't show on top. I'm not too happy with that, so right now I'm hand appliqueing and not doing stitching by machine so much.

Can't find the manual that came with it, I'll have to download one from the Internet.

Sadiemae 10-20-2010 06:43 PM

The first thing I would do is clean your machine really well. I would also change the needle. If it still acts up I would adjust the top tension and see if there is any change.

tooMuchFabric 10-20-2010 09:54 PM

Clean the machine.
Rethread.
Use a freshly wound bobbin.

Sew Krazy Girl 10-20-2010 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
Clean the machine.
Rethread.
Use a freshly wound bobbin.

Also try using a stabilizer under the fabric and a sharp needle. Good luck.

AliKat 10-20-2010 10:47 PM

Don't forget to check how you put the bobbin ... if it is backward it can interfere with your stitching.

ali

ckcowl 10-21-2010 05:02 AM

if your bobbin thread is coming up on the top your top tension is too tight...loosen it a little at a time and try a practice piece adjusting until you have the bobbin/top tension equal. it is usually easier to adjust the top tension and leave the bobbin alone, but sometimes you need to adjust the bobbin tension to. your machine book should have a trouble shooting guide in the back and will take you through the steps to achieve perfect tension. sometimes you have to adjust it for different fabrics in the same project.

newquilter2009 10-21-2010 08:33 AM

i had the same problem with my PE-150 and my bobbin tension was too loose. i actually had to replace my bobbin case but I bought the machine used and the person I bought it from was not nice to it. :evil: But after I did that it worked just fine.

BellaBoo 10-21-2010 08:44 AM

Using a stabilizer will make a big difference in the look of the stitches. One tip: Keep list of what size needle and what type/size thread and all tension settings when a stitch looks perfect on what fabric you are sewing. This list will be your best friend.