Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is bobbin thread strong enough for piecing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bobbin-thread-strong-enough-piecing-t199865.html)

Prism99 09-07-2012 05:48 PM

Is bobbin thread strong enough for piecing?

I have been using Aurifil 50wt 2-ply for piecing and love it, but Aurifil is a bit pricey.

Just bought a cone of Threadart bobbin thread 60wt from Amazon, and it's a lot less expensive. It's finer than the Aurifil, but seems plenty strong when I hold it in two hands and try to break it. Was thinking of using this in the bobbin and Aurifil on top. That way the bobbin would hold more thread and not run out as fast, plus it would be cheaper than using all Aurifil. Now I am thinking maybe I should use the bobbin thread on top too and make it *really* cheap!

If I am remembering correctly, some people use So Fine! both top and bobbin for piecing. I'm thinking the Threadart 60wt would be similar.

Any thoughts? Oh, and here is a link to the Threadart stuff I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/Bobbin-Thread-...dp/B0034W118Q/

susie-susie-susie 09-07-2012 06:22 PM

I'm no thread expert, but 60 weight is what I use in the bobbin when I use invisible thread for appliqué. That thread is polyester, so it probably is very strong. It certainly looks like it would go a long way! Look on Superior threads website and see if they have a information on that weight thread.
Sue

Neesie 09-07-2012 06:28 PM

I use Superior So Fine!, for piecing and quilting; it's 50 weight. Bottom Line is 60 weight.

Toni C 09-07-2012 06:35 PM

Humm never thought of using Bottom Line for piecing. That would make a finer seam. Wonder if it would work?

Silver Needle 09-07-2012 06:38 PM

I prefer Superior's Masterpiece thread for piecing. It is 50 wt and is available on a large cone.

DogHouseMom 09-07-2012 06:41 PM

I use Mettler 60wt in the bobbin quite often, and I almost always use Aurifil 50wt in the top. Love the combination.

thepolyparrot 09-07-2012 06:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I've used that Threadart Bobbin thread for quilting and it's great - I used it in the bobbin and the needle. Being poly, it's very strong and I didn't have any problems stitching with it. I was making TINY designs on top of the seams in a log cabin quilt - the results were quite good, although hard to find. :D If I had made larger designs, they'd have shown up better. It's pretty shiny and you might not want that look for some things, but for other things, "shiny" works just great.

I sometimes use Bottom Line and Essential threads PRO in both the needle and the bobbin - those are fine poly threads, too - the Bottom Line is slightly glossy but it's not as shiny. The PRO is matte and just as strong as the others.

I use the ThreadArt 40wt embroidery thread for quilting sometimes, too - I like the shine for some things and they have some variegated colors that are just beautiful. They have frequent sales, so check their web site and sign up for their mailing list. :)

Edited to add pictures of the quilt/quilting - ThreadArt bobbin thread - black:

Jingle 09-07-2012 07:05 PM

Beautiful quilt, quilting and pillows.
I use the same thread top and bobbin, coats and clark or essentials or machine quilting thread. I would be afraid to use poly thread for piecing. When pressing I set my iron on cotton and I think the heat would melt it. I have a cone of thread I use for basting and if I iron it the thread melts and is totally gone.

barny 09-07-2012 07:09 PM

OOOH, I like this. Very, very pretty. I love the bright colors.

Prism99 09-07-2012 07:17 PM

I just heat-tested it with my Rowenta iron on a cotton setting. Didn't melt, even when I left the iron on it for 10 seconds. It didn't get brittle either; still couldn't break it between my hands. It did look as if it flattened out a little, but seems to me that would just help the seam lie flat (and also with accuracy).