Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bobbin thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bobbin-thread-t248660.html)

Tink's Mom 06-18-2014 12:07 PM

I use poly thread all the time...if I use cotton it becomes so linty that I have to clean the machine with each bobbin. I do use cotton on top for quilting, but the good quality poly thread are not going to eat the fabrics.

Phoppe 06-18-2014 12:17 PM

Thanks everyone. I think I'll stick with the bobbin thread I've been using. I have a ton of it but this one person had me all worried that my quilts were going to rip or tear from the poly thread. Ugh! I have never made myself a quilt, I always give them as gifts, so I never know how they're really holding up to washing.

Doggramma 06-18-2014 12:23 PM

I've been using Bottom Line or Sew Fine. I prefer a finer thread. I use a lot of Aurifill too - lots of nice colors.

Jeanne S 06-18-2014 12:29 PM

I use Gutermann 50wt cotton thread on top and in the bobbin and love it.

Onebyone 06-18-2014 12:38 PM

I checked the yardage on a spool of C&C compared to the yardage on Aurifil or other thin thread and I would be paying much more for less. The spool may be cheaper but not much thread on the spool.

Prism99 06-18-2014 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 6764032)
I checked the yardage on a spool of C&C compared to the yardage on Aurifil or other thin thread and I would be paying much more for less. The spool may be cheaper but not much thread on the spool.

Agreed. Additional advantages are that the thinness of the Aurifil means more thread fits on the bobbin, which means fewer bobbin changes. Also, Aurifil is so much smoother it creates less lint, which means fewer cleanings of the bobbin area.

Sewnoma 06-18-2014 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 6764032)

Also agreed! I was surprised when I did the math, and now I don't think of Aurifil as being particularly expensive.

And it also made me realize just how cheap Connecting Threads thread is! (Price wise, not quality wise - they are my go-to for quilting thread.)

ManiacQuilter2 06-18-2014 02:47 PM

I will always use Mettler silk finished because that is what the dealer told me back in the 90s. You have to realize the truth, polyester did cut thru quilts in the 60s. I saw it happened. But the quality of mono-filament has improved over the decades so it doesn't feel like fishing line in a quilt anymore. So I can only assume that polyester thread has been improved too. I want my quilts to last for generations and be on the Antique Roadshow in 2252. :)

Prism99 06-18-2014 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 6764194)
I will always use Mettler silk finished because that is what the dealer told me back in the 90s.

That's what my dealer told me too, and I did it for something like 15 years. Until I tried Aurifil 50wt 2-ply. Will ***never*** go back to Mettler for piecing!!!

citruscountyquilter 06-18-2014 04:41 PM

I used bobbin thread years ago when I had an applique business. It was cheaper than the top thread we were using to match the applique and since we were doing lots and lots of applique it made sense to save where we could. I probably still have a couple of spools tucked away somewhere. Now I use Aurifil both top and bottom when piecing and if I'm going to need a particular color because it will show I look in my stash first and use that up. For the most part it's Guetermann but I also have some C&C Dual Duty because the store that is closest to me sells that and not the other. I do love Aurifil but beyond that I don't care as I don't think it makes much of a difference.