Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are the bobbins the same for Janome and Babylock?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bobbins-same-janome-babylock-t226467.html)

AngelinaMaria 07-24-2013 01:54 PM

Are the bobbins the same for Janome and Babylock??

I have mixed up my bobbins for my two machines and I can't tell if there is a difference between the two?? Does anyone know if they are the same or different? Thanks.

grammy Dwynn 07-24-2013 03:22 PM

My first guess is NO. But can not say for sure, could you call your local dealer? IF you find they are different, IMHO, I would mark them (permanent marker or polish), so I would not mix them again. :)

Prism99 07-24-2013 04:22 PM

Probably not, but I don't know for sure. What you can do is try each bobbin in both machines. If it's not the right bobbin for the machine, there will be a problem. There are very subtle differences in tolerances on bobbins that are often hard to see.

snipforfun 07-24-2013 04:23 PM

I have both machines and use the same bobbins in both.

QuiltE 07-24-2013 05:12 PM

My understanding is that they are "almost" the same .... to the untrained eye, we would probably not see the difference. I believe that one is more flat on the top/bottom whereas the other is slightly curved. And no, I have no clue as to which is which.

You might get away with using them in both machines ... but that also might cause some inconsistent stitch issues. Might not happen at once, but eventually ... and you may not know why?

The best way to know would be to ask your dealer.

AngelinaMaria 07-24-2013 05:22 PM

I called the dealership and asked the question and they said they both use the same bobbin. I just took out the bobbin that is in my Janome (it has been sitting under my sewing table since getting the Babylock) and compared it to the one in my Babylock and they do look identical in size, shape, top, bottom, etc. so I would say that I have been using the same bobbin in both machines so it is okay that my bobbins are mixed up and I won't worry about it any more. So now I will be able to use all the half filled bobbins from my old projects using my Janome so that is very good news!!

snipforfun 07-25-2013 03:11 AM

The bobbins are class 15. I use ones from Babylock, ones from Janome and ones fron Joanns. All class 15.

JustAbitCrazy 07-25-2013 03:13 AM

The bobbins for my Babylock Serenade are interchangeable with my old bobbins from my older Pfaff, which is nice. I still try to keep them separate, even though I use the old Pfaff bobbins in my Serenade.

davis2se 07-25-2013 06:40 AM

I too have both BL and Janome machines, and have interchanged bobbins from both with no problems. I've also purchased the class 15 and used them in both machines.

krafty14 07-25-2013 03:39 PM

I have a Janome and sometimes it does NOT like class 15 bobbins. Therefore I make sure I use only Janome bobbins. The real Janome bobbins have a J engraved on the bobbin center where you wind the thread.