Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bobbins & thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bobbins-thread-t303469.html)

Marti1943 03-08-2019 11:47 AM

Bobbins & thread

Can you use u iversal bobbins in Janome Machines? What cone thread do you use for quilting? TU

mic-pa 03-08-2019 01:24 PM

no I don't think so, you will mess up the tension I never switch bobbins or needles or anything that isn't for the particular machine I have, but not to say others may have a different opinion.

cashs_mom 03-08-2019 01:26 PM

I stick with the bobbins, etc that were made to go with the machine and never have a problem.

nativetexan 03-08-2019 05:30 PM

I never used pre-filled bobbins. do use Connecting threads Essentials threads mostly.

quiltedsunshine 03-08-2019 06:07 PM

Always use the bobbin that's specific for your machine. The height, width and center hole will be different on different machines. Use plastic bobbins in plastic bobbin cases and metal bobbins in metal bobbin cases.

I use Guterman 50 wt cotton on the cone for piecing. And Omni (40 wt) or So Fine (50 wt) from Superior Threads for machine quilting.

quiltingshorttimer 03-08-2019 06:21 PM

for quilting I use SoFine or Omni threads, sometimes Glide if I want a little sparkle.

Sheri.a 03-08-2019 08:14 PM

I've been sewing on Janome exclusively for 7 or 8 years. I find it a good deal to purchase the Janome pre-wound and then use the bobbins for other colors when they are empty.

Janome bobbins have a "j" imprinted on them. They sell pre-wound in black and white and can be found online and in the sewing machine store. I stick to the J bobbins except I have purchased the Superior pre-wound size 15 (plastic - not paper) and have had no problems. I haven't used a lot of them, but enough that I don't worry about purchasing more.

Superior sells "try me" thread that will allow you to purchase just a few bobbins to test on your machine.

Onebyone 03-09-2019 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 8222362)
I never used pre-filled bobbins. do use Connecting threads Essentials threads mostly.

I use prefilled bobbins even in my touchy Bernina. The paper backing is suppose to be taken off and many don't know that. I don't use the prefilled plastic bobbins in my machines because I have different brands of machines. Superior Threads has a chart of every machine type and what bobbins to use.

patricej 03-09-2019 07:26 AM

i am 99% sure that the "J" imprinted on some bobbins is not a special class.
most janome machines use Class 15 (also known as Class A) bobbins.

generic class 15/A will work just fine, whether prewound or empty. :)

Ariannaquilts 03-09-2019 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly (Post 8222286)
There's no such thing as universal bobbins. Every machine uses a specific type of bobbins. The Janome machines I have use a 15j bobbin, a regular class 15 won't work.

Cari

Actually I believe that there are some machines that the bobbins are interchangeable. For example my Singer machines use the same bobbins as my Brother machines I gifted my Janome machine a few years ago so I don't remember but I am pretty sure that I used the same bobbin for them all. Perhaps with newer models that is not the case. I am only speaking of the machines I've owned.