Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bogging down my sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bogging-down-my-sewing-machine-t167612.html)

Jamerz 11-11-2011 03:58 AM

Bogging down my sewing machine

My mother-in-law came over last Saturday to help me set up my quilt. It is about queen sized. When I tried to do a straight (ha ha) stitch in the ditch my sewing machine acts like it is going to die. My stitch length is on the longest setting, but it is still stitching so close and tight that it took me a day to rip out a row that I messed up. I have a card table set up beside me to try and help hold the weight of the material, and I have tried to sew faster, slower, medium and nothing seems to help. Do any of you have any suggestions? Has anyone else had this problem?
I really want to finish this quilt soon so I can begin another project :)
Newbie Jamerz

Up4BigChal 11-11-2011 04:21 AM

Are you using a walking foot? It sounds like there is too much pressure on your quilt??

gailinva 11-11-2011 04:21 AM

Are you using a walking foot?

quilt1950 11-11-2011 04:22 AM

Is the sewing machine sewing OK if you are not working on the quilt?

I have to support the front of the quilt also, so that the machine is not trying to pull up all that weight. I usually sew with one hand under the quilt, in front of the machine, lifting the quilt slightly. I stop and start frequently to readjust the quilt.

dmarcho 11-11-2011 04:25 AM

My machine has done that a time or two and each time my thread has been caught on something that didn't allow it to feed properly. If you haven't already you might try re-threading. I hope you have it figured out soon and that it is nothing $$$$.

Caroline S 11-11-2011 06:44 AM

You did not mention what kind of sewing machine you are using. If you are not using a walking foot perhaps you can increase the foot pressure on your machine. Check your machine manual for the instructions. That might help you.

Digitizingqueen 11-11-2011 07:18 AM

I totally agree with the walking foot recomendation it helps feed the layers of your quilt whin sewing- also dont push or pull on your fabric ...

Jamerz 11-11-2011 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by gailinva (Post 4664809)
Are you using a walking foot?

I am using what my manual calls a general purpose foot ?

Jamerz 11-11-2011 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 4665582)
You did not mention what kind of sewing machine you are using. If you are not using a walking foot perhaps you can increase the foot pressure on your machine. Check your machine manual for the instructions. That might help you.

Singer Stylist free arm model 534.
My mother-in-law gave it to me for my birthday a few years ago. It was her mothers.

I also have a montgomery ward machine that was my mother's high school graduation present I believe. No new machine here!!!
i took my mom's in to a repair shop before I started sewing with it a few years ago and told the repair guy that i wanted to learn to sew and do simple quilting, he said that these old machines can do everything a newer one can do as far as straight stitching and they hold up better ??

neece 11-11-2011 07:37 AM

Have you tried a smaller throw away piece? You know a small quilt of the same thickness? Have you changed the tension? Does your sewing machine need a tune-up? Do you have an ironing board ? Set it up on the other side of your sewing machine so the quilt has support? Do you need a new needle? Maybe you need a break....Start a new project and walk away. Give it a few days then try again. If all else fails go buy new fabric. It works every time.