Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   BOM projects - Too Expensive? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bom-projects-too-expensive-t40808.html)

JJs 03-28-2010 01:35 PM

for 325 dollars you could get EQ6 AND quite a few of the extra CDs... AND the fabric to make your own BOM...

I don't think anybody is worth that much!

wvdek 03-28-2010 01:50 PM

Because of the high prices is why I have not joined. Some were very tempting, but I just can't do it.

roseOfsharon 03-28-2010 02:47 PM

Smiling here, I too think that is a rather high price to pay for a block of the month quilt. I am not that savy, but that seems like a quilt of gold!

studio-christine 03-28-2010 11:36 PM

I have an anxiety related illness

choosing my own fabrics for a block is often enough to put me in bed for a week....not good when I'm supposed to be the designated quilter in a weekly craft group

a BOM means that I get a little fabric each month, for a set cost

it usually has a color picture, so I don't have to worry where each piece goes

a bit like color-by-numbers, but sometimes, that's all I can do

Gal 03-29-2010 12:44 AM

I have seen some beautiful ones advertised in quilting mags but I am afraid they are way over my budget!

Gal

thismomquilts 03-29-2010 04:13 AM

Our LQS's bom was $5.00 for the first month. As long as you took in the block from the month before (on time!) you got the next block (fabric and pattern) for nothing. If you skipped a month you had to repay the $5.00 but then continue for free - you were given one 'free' month if you couldn't make it. If you wanted to pay a $5.00 a month you could get the fabric/pattern for a second block each month (Making the total 24) (12"). At the end they gave examples of layouts... if any sashing was added you had to pay for it and the backing/binding. But for less than $100 you had a quilt at the end of the year (If you did just the one bom)

Boston1954 03-29-2010 05:01 AM

I have never done one, but that does sound high to me.

janedennis 03-29-2010 05:02 AM

Everyone is talking about the cost but there are a lot of quilters out there that spend that and more on fabric from a LQS. There was one quilters the other day that spent 700.00 in one day. I feel to each his own.

Missi 03-29-2010 05:35 AM

I think it was said best above - to each his own. I guess if you really really love the pattern and the fabrics it is worth it. It is a little steep, but I have seen quite a few BOMs out there for that price and even higher. I am doing the Civil War BOM at my LQS and I think that is running me $25 per month, but I love love love it. I don't have a joining fee and my LQS throws in a coupon for a % off of the backing too.

It helps the hit on the pocket book that I don't buy it all at one time. $25 a month I can handle and when I know I have to spend that at my LQS I am less likely to buy other stuff when I go to pick up my BOM.

Chigger Holler Quilter 03-29-2010 05:38 AM

I'm doing a BOM from local quilt shop for only $1 per mo. We needed 1 pkg of thangles (which I did purchase there). There is also an option to purchase finishing kit. If you miss purching one of the BOM you can stll get it for a $3 charge.
Your story makes me realize how fortunate I am!