Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   BOM are they really worth it?????? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bom-they-really-worth-t173949.html)

Lucy90 01-02-2012 07:34 AM

I have done two Civil War blocks of the month and you get the pattern and material but you have to cut it yourself. I love doing these quilts and I am doing General's Wife Civil War BOM now. These quilts come out beautiful & to me it is worth it. I could not make these without the BOM. I'm hand quilting one and someday I will get it done to show a picture. Take the plunge!

SundarKoyal 01-02-2012 07:42 AM

Bellaboo, I also signed up for that free BOM craftsy class. Loll.. First one i ever saw that was free.

T-Anne 01-02-2012 07:55 AM

I signed up for the Civil War BOM for this year. I absolutely love the Civil War era quilts. Yes, I agree it is a lot of money, and I had to do some thinking about that! But I really like the fabric choices and style so I decided to do it this year and see how I like it.

patdesign 01-02-2012 07:57 AM

I think some of these are absolutely beautiful, but way too pricy for my budget. I do love the fab shop hop each month and if you are not a hopper, check it out!!!:)

misseva 01-02-2012 08:07 AM

Well, I ordered a BoM from Keepsake Quilting and it cost $24.95 mo for 13 months plus backing. BUT, I live in a remote area - no close quilt stores plus I dislike picking out colors b/c I'm not good at that. AND, I don't smoke, drink, go to movies or eat out a lot so I figure $25 a month for something that brings me pleasure is ok. I even take my own tea to work so I don't have to pay $2 + at local drive-in and that alone saves $40/month. As far as it being like everyone else - so what if someone in tim-buc-tu makes one like it. I'll never see it anyway.

minky 01-02-2012 08:09 AM

Man that's a lot of cash!!!! There are many free one online, that's what I would check into. Free is GOOD!!!

KyKaren1949 01-02-2012 08:23 AM

That's exactly why I never made one of the BOM kits. Good Lord! By the time you pay shipping, for each kit and then having it quilted, you could easily have over $800 in a quilt!!! Ridiculous. I can't believe people don't figure this out.

bcross 01-02-2012 08:31 AM

I'm a fairly new quilter and last year our LGS offered the Michael Miller Clubhouse BOM for $20.00 plus a sign-up fee of $20.00 (total $250 for the whole year). We were offered other projects each month to match our quilt. It was nice having back-up material if I miscut something. We were also given a class each month and the instructions were interpreted for us and a design board with each step illustrated was used. As a new quilter I learned so much. The LQS owner was also available if we had trouble. Certain days were designated to help us with our quilts. I don't think I could have done the quilt on my own. I plan to do another one this year. However I am now doing quilts on my own and selecting my own fabric and patterns so in the future I will be able to quilt without a BOM. However, I think it has its place for new quilters.

AFQSinc 01-02-2012 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by misseva (Post 4834067)
Well, I ordered a BoM from Keepsake Quilting and it cost $24.95 mo for 13 months plus backing. BUT, I live in a remote area - no close quilt stores plus I dislike picking out colors b/c I'm not good at that. AND, I don't smoke, drink, go to movies or eat out a lot so I figure $25 a month for something that brings me pleasure is ok. I even take my own tea to work so I don't have to pay $2 + at local drive-in and that alone saves $40/month. As far as it being like everyone else - so what if someone in tim-buc-tu makes one like it. I'll never see it anyway.

This is a very good point. I have an acquaintance that regularly spends $25-75+ a month on makeup, her nails, other impulse shopping. Plus eating out. The eating out alone once per month would more than cover the cost of a moderately priced or even expensive BOM program. And at the end (providing the project is completed) you would have a lovely quilt to show for it.

I think ultimately it comes down to what each persons feels is a priority. I used to pay $25 every other week or so for manicures. Not anymore. I'd rather buy fabric or a pattern or two when I see something that I like. Everyone is different. The main thing that kills it for me is that the shipping costs have gotten so high that at the end of the year over $100 has been paid for that alone.

misseva 01-02-2012 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by minky (Post 4834080)
Man that's a lot of cash!!!! There are many free one online, that's what I would check into. Free is GOOD!!!

Yes it is, and yes I did figure it out. Like I said, I save more than that on tea at the drive in. Most people don't realize how much money they spend on drinks, coffee, etc either - or else - they figure it's worth it to them. Different strokes for different folks.