Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bonin chalk marking pen (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bonin-chalk-marking-pen-t235663.html)

minstrel 11-28-2013 09:48 AM

Bonin chalk marking pen

I just bought one of these a couple weeks ago and the one I got came with both white and colored chalk refills. I've used the white on a table topper I made as a gift and it came off nicely, but I'm a bit nervous to try any of the colored chalks. If you have tried this, have you had any problem getting the colored chalks to come out after you've finished quilting? I have a lap quilt to do that has a lot of off white in it that white chalk isn't gonna work on and if color was left behind, it wouldn't be good. (I brought my quilting with me to a cabin we go to, so don't have scraps to test on).

Tartan 11-28-2013 10:08 AM

I have not had good luck with coloured chalk. I have not tried that brand but make a sample sandwich and try it. With my blue chalk quilt marker, the chalk came out eventually from the fabric but it did not come out of my quilting thread.

minstrel 11-28-2013 05:26 PM

Thanks, Tartan. Kinda what I suspected. I was going to mark my top while we're on vacation, but maybe I'll just meander it instead. I only brought my sandwiched quilt so I don't have anything to make a sample out of with me.

francie yuhas 11-28-2013 05:29 PM

I have had poor results with colored chalk markers....the color won't come out ,despite many strategies.

Holice 11-28-2013 05:54 PM

I agree with above. Colored is difficult. Suggest multi pastel chalk pencils from General Pencil Co. Available in LQS and sort supply stores or Michaels or other craft stores that sells art supplies.

iqlt2 11-29-2013 06:31 AM

what about fine point washable markers? I have no experience with these but have seen them suggested

NJ Quilter 11-29-2013 07:16 AM

I've not used their brand of colored chalks. I've used others (sorry don't remember name but they are the big fat colored chalks) and have never had a problem getting the chalk out of either the fabric or the thread with those. I hand quilt and use thread heaven so not sure if that helps with the thread issue with the chalk or not.

ghostrider 11-29-2013 07:27 AM

The ease of colored chalk removal can also be affected by whether or not your fabrics were prewashed. Some chalks adhere to the sizing and other chemicals used to 'finish' the fabric. If you prewash, the markings are easier to remove.

Pennyhal 11-29-2013 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 6429584)
I've not used their brand of colored chalks. I've used others (sorry don't remember name but they are the big fat colored chalks) and have never had a problem getting the chalk out of either the fabric or the thread with those. I hand quilt and use thread heaven so not sure if that helps with the thread issue with the chalk or not.

I've never heard of thread heaven. What is it?

minstrel 11-29-2013 11:11 AM

Thanks all for your input. I think I'll very carefully try maybe the yellow and see how that goes. This brand isn't supposed to have any wax or anything in it and the white just brushed off easy as could be. It just dawned on me (duh!) that since I haven't trimmed my projects yet, I CAN actually do a test sample, albeit a small one.