Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Books ... just ordered through Amazon (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/books-just-ordered-through-amazon-t148150.html)

DogHouseMom 08-26-2011 07:34 PM

The other day someone posted an ISO for a Sally Collins book "Mastering Precision Piecing". I have not heard of her, or her books, but in reading the thread she was highly recommended as a piecing primer, and essential for folks who like to work with small pieces (me!! me! me!!!). So I kept reading and looked at more reviews online, found her website and saw a few other books by her (drafting blocks, and borders), and a DVD on piecing. Great reviews on her work all around.

As I was searching and finding ... I was talking to myself but husband was looking. So he started looking around for the best prices as well. Then he surprised me by saying that he ordered all 3 books plus the DVD for me!! WHAT A GUY!!!

So ... thanks to QB (again!!) for this recommendation. Now I just have to wait for my Amazon order to arrive!!

As for my husband ... I bought him something too. A watch winder (for kinetic watches - keeps them wound).

soniboo 08-26-2011 07:41 PM

You definitely have a keeper and y'all make a nice couple being you got him something too. :thumbup:

erstan947 08-26-2011 07:42 PM

:thumbup:

thrums 08-26-2011 08:22 PM

I have a wish list for books. Looks like I'll be adding this one to the list. :D

charismah 08-26-2011 09:09 PM

Oh What a nice Guy! Good for you!

MTS 08-26-2011 09:55 PM

:thumbup: YAY!
I wish I had a buck for every time I was able to convince someone to buy one of Sally's books.
"Setting Solutions" by Sharon Craig is another really useful and helpful book.

I really think you're going to love them. Half the questions/problems asked on this board would be eliminated if everyone had a copy of at least one her books. ;-)
Describing it as a "primer" is so appropriate - I've given many as gifts to newbies as I think it's so much more helpful than a book full of easy jelly roll quilt patterns.

I'd be interested in hearing your take on the books after you've had time to read through them a bit.

How "small" do you make your blocks?

craftybear 08-26-2011 10:51 PM

Wow, your hubby is a keeper

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
The other day someone posted an ISO for a Sally Collins book "Mastering Precision Piecing". I have not heard of her, or her books, but in reading the thread she was highly recommended as a piecing primer, and essential for folks who like to work with small pieces (me!! me! me!!!). So I kept reading and looked at more reviews online, found her website and saw a few other books by her (drafting blocks, and borders), and a DVD on piecing. Great reviews on her work all around.

As I was searching and finding ... I was talking to myself but husband was looking. So he started looking around for the best prices as well. Then he surprised me by saying that he ordered all 3 books plus the DVD for me!! WHAT A GUY!!!

So ... thanks to QB (again!!) for this recommendation. Now I just have to wait for my Amazon order to arrive!!

As for my husband ... I bought him something too. A watch winder (for kinetic watches - keeps them wound).

sueisallaboutquilts 08-27-2011 03:32 AM

What a sweetie!!! :D
Have fun when those books come in!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D
I love love love Amazon! Wonderful service, and fast!

Crafty1 08-27-2011 03:39 AM

Wow he's a keeper! Have fun with the books!

DogHouseMom 08-27-2011 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
How "small" do you make your blocks?

I'm currently working on a quilt originally inspired by "Omigosh" which is 1" finished pieces. I've finished the double 9 patch (4.5" finished blocks), but instead of using Shoo Fly for the opposing blocks (also 4.5") I'm going to choose a different one. I'll also use some blocks in the border - not sure which block yet.

I dream (yes DREAM) of making a mosiac in 1/4" finished blocks. Why? I dunno. I suppose just because it's the smallest block I can do without hurting my puny brain with angry fraction math :)