Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Books (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/books-t181763.html)

Ilonaginger 03-05-2012 01:09 PM

Books

Can anybody tell me what quilting book will help most as a I'm wanting to start quilting :)

ckcowl 03-05-2012 01:24 PM

do you want to learn hand quilting? machine quilting? need to start with piecing? there are many many beginner books covering a vast array of techniques- do you already piece- and need to learn to quilt? do you sew already? have a good (relationship) with a sewing machine & the tools involved? or need to start with what supplies are needed? & how to use a machine? we would love to help but need to know exactly what you are wanting to learn to do.

QuiltnNan 03-05-2012 01:50 PM

Welcome from Minnesota and happy quilting :)
My first quilt book was Eleanor Burns - still stripping after 25 years. her instructions are very clear.

Christine George 03-05-2012 02:31 PM

Welcome from Milwaukee. Look at books at JoAnn's (or any other LQS) and choose one that contains what you want to learn. I'd stay away from paper piecing until you get more confident. Start with 9 patch so you can learn about seam allowance and which way to press the seams over. Then you can branch out from there. Good luck. Oh, P.S., You can use your 50% off coupons at JoAnn. Some of those books are expensive.

sweetana3 03-05-2012 03:24 PM

Harriet Hargrave has put out a wonderful set of books set up like college levels. You start with freshman year and get lessons in beginning quilting with some wonderful patterns/projects that reinforce the lessons. then you go to sophmore year and one to senior. they have pictures and clear instructions.

she also did a combo book with sharyn craig that is also excellent.

sweetana3 03-05-2012 03:25 PM

Harriet Hargrave has put out a wonderful set of books set up like college levels. You start with freshman year and get lessons in beginning quilting with some wonderful patterns/projects that reinforce the lessons. then you go to sophmore year and one to senior. they have pictures and clear instructions.

she also did a combo book with sharyn craig that is also excellent.

GrannieAnnie 03-05-2012 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Christine George (Post 5034168)
Welcome from Milwaukee. Look at books at JoAnn's (or any other LQS) and choose one that contains what you want to learn. I'd stay away from paper piecing until you get more confident. Start with 9 patch so you can learn about seam allowance and which way to press the seams over. Then you can branch out from there. Good luck. Oh, P.S., You can use your 50% off coupons at JoAnn. Some of those books are expensive.

Good points, look thru the different books to see which has what you need.

tatavw01 03-05-2012 05:05 PM

in my opinion Happy Endings by Mimi Dietrich is the best book on binding. also check you library check it out first and if you like get it.

Dolphyngyrl 03-05-2012 05:54 PM

Better homes and gardens guide to quilting, my fave, not a pattern book, but great reference for math, or when you have questions on techniques

MadQuilter 03-05-2012 05:59 PM

My first class used "Quits! Quilts! Quilts!" as the reference for a BOM and I liked it.