Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   border advice please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/border-advice-please-t296219.html)

luvstoquilt 04-15-2018 04:34 AM

Triple border cream, blue and then wide with whatever fabric you have enough left from your quilt. I think 9P for corner might be overkill.

pewa88 04-15-2018 05:51 AM

I am thinking that a narrow border of the blue will complete your center design and cause the eye to rest. Then a wider border that reads solid in a color that was in the prints. Audition first and stand back to view. Nice use of your print fabric.

Battle Axe 04-16-2018 02:40 AM

This is just my opinion, so use it if you want...etc...

Your block is busy enough that something complicated would only make the quilt busier. I'd take what you have from any of the more neutral fabrics in the quilt and go around the whole quilt with 1 1/2 to 2 inches. This is done to distance the blocks from the edge.

2nd border is a framing border. Take one color....doesn't even have to be the same fabrics, maybe a darker green and make a "framing border of 1 inch to 1 1/2 inches. Your eye will go to this border first. It will be right on the edge of the bed if you can know what bed it will be on ahead of time.

3rd and outside border is the largest. Depends on how big you want the quilt. This would hang over the edge of the bed. Depends on what you have left. It could even be a print.

Please let us see what you come up with.

I agree with pewa88. Put it all on the design wall and pin things and audition them.

Above all .....have plenty of fun.

Marcia

Quiltlady330 04-16-2018 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by cjsews (Post 8040773)
Maybe use a brown then your blue and finish with another wider final border. I like the block

I was thinking a narrow chocolate as well - playing off the bears and moose. It reads neutral and then you could use any of the other colors for your wider border. Don't forget to post the finished project. Nice job.

patinpoconos 04-16-2018 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 8040755)
I think a narrow blue inner border would be lovely and not cause a problem with the central design.beautiful quilt.

I agree,too

granny64 04-16-2018 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard (Post 8040703)
You guys are so great about helping those of us who get stuck now and then!! Here is my dilemma: I designed this quilt, and had planned to have a narrow border of the darker burgundy then a wide border of the blue star fabric.
Now I find I don't have enough of the blue for a wide border but could perhaps get a narrow one from it. Do you think having a blue border adjacent to the star will confuse the borders of the star or am I just borrowing trouble?
Would you do the narrow blue border with the matching fabric or perhaps pull in another blue that would go with but not match and use that for the wider outer border?
Or put the wide burgundy first then a narrow blue? I have never put the narrower border on the outside I don't think.
Here is the flimsy for your consideration:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]592964[/ATTACH]

Use a green. It would complement it.

Kassaundra 04-16-2018 07:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I like the narrow blue inner border here is a quick mock up

[ATTACH=CONFIG]593031[/ATTACH]

maviskw 04-16-2018 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 8041664)
I like the narrow blue inner border here is a quick mock up

[ATTACH=CONFIG]593031[/ATTACH]

I have made several quilts with really narrow borders around the central pattern. I used 3/4 inch strips. After they are sewn on to the quilt, the next seam is really easy to control if you have a quarter inch presser foot. Just run that presser foot up against the last seam, and your quarter inch looks perfect every time.
That tiny line breaks up the center from the borders and has the effect of that black line we used to use in our coloring book. All the kids did it. We would color in the spaces however we liked and then used a black color to outline everything.
I think using the blue for this would look wonderful.