Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Border advice please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/border-advice-please-t316530.html)

Sheila59 10-04-2021 03:05 AM

Border advice please

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I am new to this forum. I am just making my second quilt. It is based on the colours of a sunset. As with my first quilt, I find it difficult on deciding what colour borders to do. I plan to put a 2” white strip round it first. Could anyone suggest what border colour to go for please and if you think I should do one or two borders and how wide to do them? Many thanks for your help.

rjwilder 10-04-2021 03:15 AM

The quilt is beautiful, I would not put a 2" strip of white around it. There is a lot of white in the quilt already. I'd pick a color in the quilt and use that as the first border and then another color in the quilt as a second border if you think it needs one.

lindaschipper 10-04-2021 03:20 AM

I would not use white as a first border either. I would use a light green teal color for the first border and then a darker purple for the wider second border. Also have you tried mixing your blocks up instead of putting all the "like" colors together?

juliasb 10-04-2021 03:23 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan. I love what you are doing with this quilt. I would avoid the white. and use the purple for one and the teal for the other. I look forward to seeing a lot of you here. Welcome aboard.

aashley333 10-04-2021 04:30 AM

I like a 1 inch border first. It sorta frames the quilt. Also, I's use colors from the quilt. The teal is my favorite, so I'd use it on the (wider) outer border. Don't be afraid of a 1 inch border. I was worried at first that it would be wonky, but they aren't.

Rhonda K 10-04-2021 05:00 AM

Great job with your quilt and those blocks!

Since you mentioned subset, make one border with one of the orange fabrics. Make the second border in a dark tone teal and use it for binding. The sunset can fade right into night.

SuzSLO 10-04-2021 05:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Beautiful quilt! I agree that the white border won’t add much. For an inner border, I like a skinny border (about 1”) in a relatively dark fabric. The outer border should be wider and can use a fabric already used in the quilt. My suggestions are marked in the attached photo, but you have many options.

Tartan 10-04-2021 05:39 AM

Pretty blocks! I would do the small border of the white background fabric and then a wide outer border in the variegated sunset fabric(if you have enough) in either the blue colour way or the the orange colour way depending on what colour scheme of the room it will go in. You could also do the warm sunset fabric on warm corner and the cool sunset on the cool corner.

SusieQOH 10-04-2021 06:14 AM

What a beauty!
You could do a one inch white, or omit that, and use one of the other colors in the quilt. Maybe a couple of borders, with the widest at the end. My last border is usually no wider than 4 inches but you can do whatever suits you.

I've also done quilts with no border- just a nice binding in one of those colors. Really, the sky's the limit in quilting.

DawnFurlong 10-04-2021 11:01 AM

What a beautiful quilt! I agree with others, I like the idea of a 1 (or even 2) inch inner border (I wouldn't do white there either) and then an outer border. Perhaps a 3 or 4 " outer border? I would use colors from the quilt for both.