Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Border / binding dilemma (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/border-binding-dilemma-t297219.html)

Kassaundra 05-27-2018 04:31 PM

Border / binding dilemma

2 Attachment(s)
I am working on the border / binding design for the wolf quilt. I need to make a decision before completing the border. When I sewed the hexies I Hated the hexies made from the wolf part of the stripe so I set those aside and didn't use them in the border. The half hexies are the perfect width for binding so I am going to join them into a row and use them as binding. The other definite is using a strip of the wolf fabric whole in the border to the outside of the hexies. What I need to decide is should the brown strip be between the hexies and the wolves leaving the binding to merge visually w/ the final row of the border (wolves), or do I put the wolves against the hexie row and the brown strip between the wolf and the binding? Here are pics to illustrate my dilemma

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595027[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595028[/ATTACH]

mmac71 05-27-2018 05:06 PM

The visual effect of the brown first wolf next looks a lot better to me. The wolf pattern next to the hexies look too busy to me. My opinion!

Maggie_Sue 05-27-2018 05:12 PM

I have to agree the brown first gets my vote!!! Its going to be beautiful!!!

GKSM 05-27-2018 05:15 PM

Yes, brown first.

givio 05-27-2018 05:35 PM

I wouldn't use the wolves at all in the border. I think they are outstanding chasing each other in the main body of the quilt, and it's enough. Adding them to the border isn't really needed, and maybe takes away from the interest of them in the center. If you have a similar color fabric to the the golden orange color of your print, you could audition that and see if you like it. I'd probably put the cream, then a light orange, or gold, or warm brown, or maybe black, and then the brown, making it a 3 stripe border, which would echo the feeling of the stripes in the center.

quiltsRfun 05-27-2018 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by mmac71 (Post 8065802)
The visual effect of the brown first wolf next looks a lot better to me. The wolf pattern next to the hexies look too busy to me. My opinion!

Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue (Post 8065808)
I have to agree the brown first gets my vote!!! Its going to be beautiful!!!

Make that three of us.

BTW, I've always been partial to brown even though a lot of people aren't fond of it. You've done an outstanding job using the brown in this quilt.

zozee 05-27-2018 05:41 PM

The brown first. The simple solid gives star power to the lively hexies.

Tartan 05-27-2018 07:00 PM

Brown strip, then wolves and bind with brown. Looking awesome!

Rhonda K 05-28-2018 04:45 AM

Beautiful quilt design. Agree with givio and others to leave the wolves off the border. They are busy and take away from the hexi border.

Do you have a medium tone fabric to audition for the center border?

Jingle 05-28-2018 01:35 PM

I would go with the brown first, like most others have said.