Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Border corner blocks suggestions needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/border-corner-blocks-suggestions-needed-t61001.html)

fabric-holic 08-23-2010 02:28 PM

I have a king size quilt almost done. The borders are very plain (tone on tone forest green and channel quilted vertically) because I wanted the focus to be on the quilt center (a feathered star with 4 colors). (I should explain that I do QAYG technique so the borders are quilted but not attached yet.)
But I'm wondering if the border corner blocks should be something other than just more of the forest green.
Would that be just too much of it?
Although I have to admit I'm leaning towards doing it that way.

Or I could maybe use one of the other 4 fabrics (tone on tone caramel, tone on tone cream, floral dk green, and the tone on tone forest green) for the corner blocks?

Its for my DD and SIL and they are very conservative, traditional people. They don't like busy stuff. That's why there's so many solid looking fabrics.
Sorry I can't take a photo as my digital camera fell in the pool yesterday.
I'd just like to know what you might do.
Thanks for your opinions.

Sadheart 08-23-2010 02:47 PM

Well to be honest it will probably work the way you describe it.
But for myself. I am not sure I am picturing what you mean.
The blocks are a feathered star. And the border is a tone on tone
forest green?
Right?
If I understand you right it will probably turn out spectacular.
Have you laid it out to see on the floor or a bed? That always helps me.
Then I can see how it will look.
Good luck.

Dorothy Ann 08-23-2010 02:54 PM

Hi Karen, I'm so sorry about your camera, I did that with my cell phone. I think you should go with what you are leaning towards for all the reasons you gave. In addition, I always like to see the whole quilt effect and your the only one who can.

fabric-holic 08-23-2010 03:13 PM

[quote=Sadheart]....The blocks are a feathered star. And the border is a tone on tone forest green?
Right? [quote=Sadheart]

Not exactly.
The center of the quilt is one large feathered star (not star blocks), and there are 4 colors in it.
I just thought maybe the corners of such a large quilt needed some color or pizzazz? Maybe not.

fabric-holic 08-23-2010 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dorothy Ann
Hi Karen, I'm so sorry about your camera, I did that with my cell phone. I think you should go with what you are leaning towards for all the reasons you gave. In addition, I always like to see the whole quilt effect and your the only one who can.

Thanks....if my DD and SIL were a little wilder (lol) it wouldn't matter so much. I just don't want the finished quilt to look boring to me, you know? Or for them to think "ye Gods! Too much" That's my dilemma.

almostfree 08-23-2010 03:18 PM

They will probably just love whatever you do for them.

ckcowl 08-23-2010 04:34 PM

i would go with star corner squares. it just adds that 'something special' touch to a border, especially on a large one with a medallion center.