Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Border Ideas for french braid batik quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/border-ideas-french-braid-batik-quilt-t269458.html)

MarionsQuilts 08-31-2015 03:52 PM

Border Ideas for french braid batik quilt

5 Attachment(s)
Hey all ... it's been a while since I've posted as it's summer and I have way to much to do! (Summer is NOT a long season in Ottawa, have to take advantage of the nice weather while we can!)

I sent off my french braid batik quilt to be custom quilted, and Krista did a FABULOUS job ... now I just need some ideas on what type of border.

Do I do a border that folds on to the TOP, or to the back? Or do I do a ruffle? (And if I do a ruffle, how do I do a ruffle, LOL - I could buy one!)

I have ZERO fabric from the batik left ...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Here's some pics of Krista's fabulous quilting

[ATTACH=CONFIG]529415[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]529416[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]529417[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]529418[/ATTACH]

tulip43 08-31-2015 04:03 PM

my what a beautiful quilt, I will be making one in the next year I hope, bind in the brown , sew to the front and turn to the back and hand stitch, great colors

thimblebug6000 08-31-2015 04:07 PM

Your posting asks about borders, is that what you are really wanting suggestions for? Or do you mean binding?

katier825 08-31-2015 04:08 PM

Do you mean binding? I like to "audition" colors before committing. I would be inclined to look for something like the darker brown, maybe a Hoffman 1895 solid batik or a marble. I think with the color and design, I wouldn't want the binding to compete.

Love your quilt!

cjsews 08-31-2015 04:16 PM

I would be tempted to try a deep reddish brown. Lovely quilt

joyce888 08-31-2015 04:32 PM

Beautiful quilt and quilting! I'm sure you mean binding and I think you could do a scrappy binding from the leftovers of the braids OR find a brown that's as close of a match as possible.

Prism99 08-31-2015 05:56 PM

If you mean binding, I prefer dark binding because it does not show dirt as easily. Any dark brown fabric that blends with the browns in the top would work.

I would NOT add a ruffle to the quilt. It would add a lot of weight and bulk. Better, in my opinion, to add a separate ruffle to the mattress if you want a matching ruffle.

For a quilt like this, I would machine sew binding to the front and hand sew to the back. The only reason to sew binding to the back is if you want to machine sew the binding to the front, which wouldn't be my first choice for such a beautiful quilt. The first method creates a nicer finish unless you are extremely accomplished in adding machine bindings.

MarionsQuilts 09-01-2015 02:29 AM

Sigh, yes everyone, you were all able to read my mind LOL ... I meant binding!!!!

I have ZERO fabric of this left, so I would have to buy more batik, probably in the dark brown ... and going towards the back!

Thanks so much for thoughts!

Monale 09-01-2015 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts (Post 7303325)
Sigh, yes everyone, you were all able to read my mind LOL ... I meant binding!!!!

I have ZERO fabric of this left, so I would have to buy more batik, probably in the dark brown ... and going towards the back!

Thanks so much for thoughts!

That explains things... :D I already thought that as a newbie, I am about to learn a new thing: That one can add borders AFTER quilting :o

For binding, me too, I would go with dark brown like the background colour in the quilt.

Beautiful quilt, BTW!

Bree123 09-01-2015 06:57 AM

Monale, it is possible to add on a border after quilting using the Quilt as You Go method.

Marion, I'm sure this will sound crazy, but... when I first glanced at your quilt, I thought it was bound with white piping. On closer look I realized that was the batting. However, I now have it in my head that a white piped binding would look really sharp!