Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Border question..Help if you can (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/border-question-help-if-you-can-t32702.html)

diannemc 12-31-2009 06:01 AM

I know to long time quilters this is a dumb question but I am working on my first large quilt so not sure and what to do to make boarder long enough? I is all one color..do you join the pieces and a angle and just sew them straight across..do you piece them and where ever the seem hits is ok or do you piece them at both ends..Does anyone understand what I am trying to ask???

Ninnie 12-31-2009 06:04 AM

You can sew them straight across, 1/4 in seam, or you can cut and sew them at an angle. Either way will work.

Bluphrog 12-31-2009 06:56 AM

I sew my border strips together at a 45 degree angle, as this is the way I was taught. The reasoning I was taught is that when the fabric is joined that way, it is harder to see. I don't know if it's true, since I've never joined the strips with a straight seam. When I sew the borders on, I try to sew the strips so that the joins are not directly across from each other, but that is just my personal preference.

Oklahoma Suzie 12-31-2009 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
You can sew them straight across, 1/4 in seam, or you can cut and sew them at an angle. Either way will work.

I sew them straight too.

Deb watkins 12-31-2009 07:12 AM

I sew mine at the 45 degree. I measure the entire quilt as to how much binding I am going to need,then add 2 inches for each corner turn. I have begun using the 2-1/4 strip, (adapted from this site!)after they are sewn together to press them wrong sides together (wst), and sew.

Barb_MO 12-31-2009 07:27 AM

I have pieced border with 15 degree angle and also straight. I like the diagonal seam, but takes much more fabric.
I usually start my first borders with 2 width of fabric cuts. That will go on top and bottom of most of the quilts I make. Then by cutting only half the width I've cut across my fabric...20+ inches, with two full widths and the half will be enough for the length of the quilt so I don't end up with a very small piece at one end.

Quilt Mom 12-31-2009 07:37 AM

I use the 45 degree angle, also. The only time I have a problem with this is if the border fabric has a large print. Then I use a straight seam, to allow the pattern to repeat correctly.

I hope you got enough information from all of us to help.

You will do a good job. Just jump in and try a method. :thumbup:

amma 12-31-2009 08:40 AM

I would try and only use two pieces sewn together for each border, unless you have to piece more because of running out of fabric.

Scissor Queen 12-31-2009 08:46 AM

I use straight seams for borders and generally cut them the width of the fabric and piece the length I need. Once in awhile I'll use a fabric that the design will work better cut length of fabric.

The biggest reason I use straight seams is the loss of fabric. If the border is 8 inches wide you'll lose an 8 inch square for each diagonal seam. It doesn't take very many seams for that to really add up.

diannemc 12-31-2009 09:49 AM

Thanks everyone for your help!