Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which Border? And When To Wash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/border-when-wash-t255685.html)

cashs_mom 10-24-2014 09:54 AM

I really like the black/yellow/white/gray color scheme! I vote for the gray with circles for the border.

Krystyna 10-24-2014 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly (Post 6941558)
...after it is quilted. If you machine wash it before it is done, you could end up with a nightmare instead of a quilt. I would also take it to a laundromat and use the the 'big boy' style washer so it has lots of water to swim in. Please post an 'after' so we can see it 'bloomed'?

Will do MadamKelly!

Circles are on ... looking good ... as well as gray can look. I must say that as a rule I do NOT like gray. This quilt hasn't changed my mind either ;)

MargeD 10-24-2014 11:32 AM

I like the first grey with the circles. I wouldn't worry about washing your queen size quilt in the washer, just use a delicate or gentle cycle with cold water, which is what I use for all my clothing. Then I would just toss the quilt into the dryer. I've done this with queen size as well as king size quilts and they came out fine.

madamekelly 10-25-2014 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by MargeD (Post 6941693)
I like the first grey with the circles. I wouldn't worry about washing your queen size quilt in the washer, just use a delicate or gentle cycle with cold water, which is what I use for all my clothing. Then I would just toss the quilt into the dryer. I've done this with queen size as well as king size quilts and they came out fine.

Not all washers are the same size, I have a large loader, and it does not agitate enough to get a full quilt clean without damage. Better to take them to a true large loader and keep my quilt safe. You must have a bigger machine than mine.

Krystyna 10-25-2014 08:56 AM

Ours is a smallish front loader that came with the house. Although I am so grateful to have a washer in the house, I'm ashamed to say that I can't wait until it breaks so I can justify buying a top loader. :o

madamekelly 10-25-2014 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna (Post 6942830)
Ours is a smallish front loader that came with the house. Although I am so grateful to have a washer in the house, I'm ashamed to say that I can't wait until it breaks so I can justify buying a top loader. :o

If I find any gremlins, I will send them to the machine for you. Lol!

Friday1961 10-25-2014 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6939477)
I vote for a 2 inch black border and then the gray with circles. I think I would quilt it before washing at the laundromat. I don't know how you would get it smoothed out to make the quilt sandwich without ironing it again after washing the top. Ironing would be tricky with all the curled edges. Neat top!

I agree with Tartan's suggestion (above). The 2 inch black border stops the busyness of the quilt, gives your eyes a place to rest, and then the gray with circles picks it up again AND -- joy of joys! -- reflects all the circles in your piecing fabric. This is going to be a gorgeous quilt!