Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Border Width Decision... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/border-width-decision-t286011.html)

Watson 02-11-2017 03:34 PM

Border Width Decision...

If your blocks and sashing are all even numbers...6" blocks and 2" sashing...is it best to stay with even number for the borders, or does it matter?

I'd like to do a narrow inner border...maybe only 1" wide with the accent colour and then a wider outer border with the print, maybe 3", but I'm wondering if this will be jarring to the eye?

Is there a rule of thumb about this?

Thanks!

Watson

RedGarnet222 02-11-2017 03:50 PM

I have read where the borders should equal 2/3 to 3/4 of the block size. But, I usually audition a border first and if it looks good to me, I just do it whether it is in those size frames or not.

zozee 02-11-2017 06:36 PM

I'd audition the 2" border first since your sashings are 2". The last quilt I made that's what I did, and like the consistent look. But really, it's a personal call. I'm a believer that you'll know in your gut when it's right.

QuiltE 02-11-2017 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 7762394)
Is there a rule of thumb about this?
Thanks!
Watson

The rule is ..... there are no rules! :)

OK, there was one rule that I saw a while ago that I kind of liked .... no two borders should be the same width!

Quite honestly (and yes, this is only my opinion) ..... I believe in auditioning to figure it out.

You can have the same quilt made, but with different fabrics .... one will command a large wide border or borders. Another might yearn for quite a simplistic border. And yet another might say, leave me alone, I don't need a border!:)

Two things that I think too often as quilters, we forget ....

* It is quite OK to not have a border. Not every quilt commands one. In fact, I think sometimes a border destroys the look of a quilt. Just the same as the wrong border choices can.

* Borders can be more than just plain fabric added on, whether a single or multi-layered border. There are so many ways to dress the borders up and make them so much more!

Without seeing your quilt, it really is hard to give you suggestions ... although, that was not what you were asking, was it? :)

QuiltE 02-11-2017 08:34 PM

I was trying to think of this when I responded earlier, but the name would not come!

Fibonacci Sequence

This is a formula that some use for their quilts.
Here's a link ....
https://virtualquilter.wordpress.com...e-the-borders/

Personally, I have not used it .... and have opted, as per my earlier comments.
However, it does make sense to help give a starting point.

Interesting that the blog writer pretty much said the same thing
.... starting point and then audition it, adapting to what you like!

quiltingshorttimer 02-11-2017 08:37 PM

well, I think there is a rule--Fibonno?? Know that isn't accurate, but something like that and it's a mathematical formula. But obviously I can't remember it--I usually just audition it (eyeball it!) But I personally don't like to have the sashing and borders the same.

Claire123 02-12-2017 12:06 AM

Doesn't matter. It's a matter of both personal taste and how much fabric you have.

popover 02-12-2017 05:20 AM

And you don't HAVE to have a border. I seldom do.

newbee3 02-12-2017 08:55 AM

I honestly believe if you are making the quilt it is yours to do whatever with. If we all go by certain rules there would probably not be new ideas or patterns so go with what you want and enjoy the process

PaperPrincess 02-12-2017 01:47 PM

I like a stop border and usually make it 1/2 to 1" finished. For the next border, I have various methods.
1) The final quilt has to be a certain size, so I add borders to make it that size
2) I only have a limited amount of border fabric left, so that's how big the border is.
3) The border fabric is a print, and I want a particular portion of the print to show.
4) I use the scientific audition method. I sew on the narrow inner border, lay the outer border out & move the quilt back & forth.
As a mathematician, I prefer one of the above methods to Fibonacci Sequence. I think making it pleasing to your eye is the best.