Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Borders needed...looking for ideas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/borders-needed-looking-ideas-t276180.html)

Penster 02-27-2016 07:28 PM

Borders needed...looking for ideas

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of my work in process....it needs some rather large borders (30 inches added to sides...15 inches each side) and 20 inches to top and bottom (10 each). I have yardage in 3 colors of matching fabric...the dark blue, the dark red with tiny dots, and the cream with red and blue flowers. And I have enough of the plain cream that is already in the quilt to do a small border outside the existing block border. I also splurged and got another package of 10 inch squares so I have the opportunity to make additional blocks or whatever as needed.

SO...any suggestions. First border going on is 4 inches of the plain cream around the small squares, then I need some suggestions. I feel like I would like to do something different...not just strips of fabric. Do you think flying geese would look goofy on the side borders with current pattern on the top? Is it okay to mix up the geometric shapes from the top to the sides? I just sort of feel that it needs something other than squared blocks. But I don't have enough experience to know if it would clash. Is there another relatively easy shape I could do with the 10 inch squares that would look nice?

Any input put would be appreciated!

Up North 02-27-2016 07:55 PM

From what I am seeing I myself would do another little bit wider cream and another little wider piano key like you have. If it is still not large enough maybe another cream and bind it with a multi color that is in the quilt. Just my opinion. I like this quilt! Oh and I am thinking what you have already is the top of the bed and the other borders hang down?

Dina 02-27-2016 08:13 PM

What a beautiful quilt! I like what Donna has suggested as borders, but I am sure others will give you some ideas.

Dina

BETTY62 02-27-2016 09:07 PM

Your quilt is very nice. I love the design and your choice of fabric.

Bree123 02-27-2016 10:22 PM

Really beautiful -- such precise piecing! I definitely agree with a 2nd row of the cream after the row of squares. I was originally thinking about set-in circles but since you said you were going for something easy, what about turning the squares on point with cream HST's for your next "B" row? Then another row of cream for the A row followed by regular squares for the B row & so forth.

But the flying geese would also look nice & you could always tie them in through your quilting design.

MadQuilter 02-27-2016 10:44 PM

You could do a wide cream border and applique vines and flowers on it using the same color value from your squares.

DOTTYMO 02-27-2016 10:46 PM

Love the quilt and its colours. A border in cream followed by blocks would be my suggestion but not sure the blocks ideal for outer border.

Billi 02-28-2016 04:38 AM

How about
1) a narrow round of cream
2) Then more blocks
3) Then another round of cream different widths on the sides and top to adjust the size so
4) a last round of piano keys can all be the same width all the way around.

also your top is really pretty :-)

Quiltngolfer 02-28-2016 04:52 AM

I like madquilter's idea of a wide cream with appliqué. Your quilt is beautiful already.

Watson 02-28-2016 04:57 AM

Beautiful quilt. I like the piano key idea.

The applique would be lovely, too if you like to do that.

Watson