Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bosal vs ByAnnie's Soft and Stable (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bosal-vs-byannies-soft-stable-t316050.html)

cashs_mom 08-05-2021 02:14 PM

Bosal vs ByAnnie's Soft and Stable

I'm about to start a purse from a Studio Kat Designs pattern. The pattern calls for ByAnnie's Soft and Stable. I've ordered the Soft and Stable but was looking for a more readily available substitute. My LQS carries Bosal In-R-Form and I did some research on the internet and found several references to Bosal being better for bags because it holds its shape better and is less on the soft side and more on the stable side. This purse will get some heavy use so I'd like something that would hold it shape well even though carrying a heavier load.I was just wondering what experience members here have had..

Thanks.

bakermom 08-05-2021 05:32 PM

I've used it and have been very happy with it.

cashs_mom 08-05-2021 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by bakermom (Post 8500425)
I've used it and have been very happy with it.

Which one?

GingerK 08-06-2021 04:44 AM

I use them both and find very little difference. I do not like the fusible Bosol. If it is going to get a lot of use, you may want to put a heavier bottom into your bag, either by sandwiching in a heavy interfacing or a removable base. Some people use a piece of plastic cutting board or placemat from the Dollarstore.

cashs_mom 08-06-2021 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK (Post 8500469)
I use them both and find very little difference. I do not like the fusible Bosol. If it is going to get a lot of use, you may want to put a heavier bottom into your bag, either by sandwiching in a heavy interfacing or a removable base. Some people use a piece of plastic cutting board or placemat from the Dollarstore.

Thanks Ginger. I was planning to put a solid removable bottom in the bag. I've found that helps them to retain their shape a lot.

What was it you didn't like about the fusible Bosal?

GingerK 08-06-2021 07:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
You have to be very careful with the iron temperature. You also have to be extremely careful to just 'press' and not move the iron around. I found that sometimes left voids or uneven fusing. The one place I do like using it is for the straps. I usually make pieced straps--about 28 inches worth of 1 1/2 inch squares sewn together, then fused to a 1 1/2 inch wide piece of fusible Bosol. Then I take a 28 x 2 2/1 inch piece of coordinating fabric and sew down each side. Turn it around and topstitch. I hope the photo shows what I mean.

cashs_mom 08-06-2021 09:20 AM

Thanks Ginger. That's very helpful. Maybe I'll just stick with the Soft and Stable for this project and get some Bosal next time I'm at the LQS to experiment with.

bakermom 08-06-2021 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 8500445)
Which one?

Sorry, I have used Bosal, I thought it would be awkward to use but it isn't.

cashs_mom 08-07-2021 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by bakermom (Post 8500657)
Sorry, I have used Bosal, I thought it would be awkward to use but it isn't.

Thank you!

juliasb 08-07-2021 06:59 AM

I just learned something about both of these products. I have never used either but have put it into my list of things to ask for or purchase when the time comes.