Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Botched border remedy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/botched-border-remedy-t308627.html)

Mrobert 12-15-2019 12:15 PM

Botched border remedy?

Hi, I come from a long line of quilters, but just recently started embroidering blocks for quilts. Anyway, I had some floral blocks done by my late aunt that I had machine quilted by someone else. I had chosen a subdued green for inserts, but my quilter took it upon herself to add a partial dark green stripe and triangles in the border. It has been machine quilted and bound and I am sick. There is also a problem in that she made the bottom border wider than the top.

Could the entire border be removed and redone? Could the entire border be cut off and just have a binding directly next to the blocks (she did a checkerboard pattern alternating the subdued green). It would be a smaller quilt, but the dark green would be gone. I think I could possibly live with it if the bottom border could be cut off to match the top border and binding reapplied. I really hate to hurt her feelings, but it looks awful to me. Any advice is welcome.

Peckish 12-15-2019 12:35 PM

Can you please post a picture? Here are instructions for how:

https://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-hel...s-t168819.html

https://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-hel...g-t166655.html

Not sure what you mean by "inserts", and why on earth would a "professional" quilter alter a customer's quilt??? That is absolutely not professional and way beyond the pale, IMO. She shouldn't have made any alterations to your quilt without your permission. Have you discussed this with her?

Onebyone 12-15-2019 01:02 PM

Why are her feelings more important then your feelings? I would have asked why on earth did you do that? I don't like it at all. She would know I wasn't happy. I would cut off the border part I didn't like and take out the quilting stitches enough to sew on a new border. I doubt that quilter would ever get her hands on another quilt of mine unless she offered to redo the quilt the way I wanted it done in the first place.

ckcowl 12-15-2019 01:39 PM

I’m a little confused. Did you take your blocks and a green fabric to someone and ask her to put together your quilt top then quilt and bind? Or did you make a quilt top and take it to her to quilt for you?
If she was just supposed to quilt it for you I would take it back and ask her to remove what she added and fix it.
if you asked her to make the top for you maybe she added what she thought would work to make it the size you wanted? Lots of unknown information here.
you of course can cut off anything you want and redo as you want, it’s yours.

Jingle 12-15-2019 02:09 PM

Welcome to this board.

dunster 12-15-2019 02:10 PM

You can easily cut off the borders and apply a new binding. It's the same thing as trimming a quilt right after it has been quilted, but in this case you're trimming off a lot more. It is also possible to add new borders. If you want to do that, I would suggest the book Machine Quilting in Sections by Marti Michell for instructions.

We would love to see the quilt as it is now. Sometimes if you wait a while, you may find that you like what you didn't like at first.

quiltingshorttimer 12-15-2019 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 8340601)
I’m a little confused. Did you take your blocks and a green fabric to someone and ask her to put together your quilt top then quilt and bind? Or did you make a quilt top and take it to her to quilt for you?
If she was just supposed to quilt it for you I would take it back and ask her to remove what she added and fix it.
if you asked her to make the top for you maybe she added what she thought would work to make it the size you wanted? Lots of unknown information here.
you of course can cut off anything you want and redo as you want, it’s yours.

I agree--more info needed. can't imagine a quilter just adding some borders unless you wanted her to finish into a quilt a stack of embroidery blocks. You definitely can cut off and re-bind whatever you want.

Mrobert 12-16-2019 04:22 AM

Thanks to all of you for answering. I took 24 larger blocks of embroidered flowers on a cream background. I also gave her some light green material that I expected would be strips between the blocks. She cut down the size of the floral blocks and used the green to make alternating green blocks between the floral blocks. This created a checkerboard look. Instead of just putting a plain border, she put some sort of arrows in the corner and a green partial dark green border. I wish I could post it the picture. I don’t want to pick out the machine quilting. At this point, I just want the entire border cut off and replaced with a plain border.
The lady lost her husband and has done other quilts for me. I have known her for years and don’t want hard feelings since she is obviously proud of her work. I think she was trying to make it bigger although I don’t recall specifying a size. I think it could have been larger, but she cut the blocks from 12 inches to 9 inches.
I did contact another local quilter (who I don’t know) who says she may be able to quilt a new border for me to attach to the checkerboard. If someone will tell me how to post a picture I will try.

Mrobert 12-16-2019 04:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]620943[/ATTACH] Here

Mrobert 12-16-2019 04:33 AM

Here is the quilt. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.