Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bottom Line or InvisaFil for EPP? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bottom-line-invisafil-epp-t303703.html)

SherylM 03-20-2019 05:11 AM

Bottom Line or InvisaFil for EPP?

1 Attachment(s)
I just started doing some English paper piecing and I'm really enjoying it. Yesterday I made a couple of Inner City blocks and I'm very excited about how good they're turning out! This is a pattern that I've loved and wanted to do for a long time, but the thought of piecing them the regular way was daunting and I didn't think I would ever get around to doing it. (Picture is sideways, for some reason. :confused:)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]610552[/ATTACH]

I have a couple spools of Bottom Line in silver and grey and I like it a lot for hand sewing, but I need to also get a darker color, probably charcoal or black. I stumbled upon some reviews of InvisaFil and the general consensus seems to be that it's great for EPP - strong, doesn't tangle, etc.

So I was wondering - for those of you who have used both of them, what is your preference and why? Pros...cons?

Onebyone 03-20-2019 05:42 AM

I have used both those threads and liked both. Silk thread is excellent for strong stitches. I like EEP and do a lot of it. I took a class on Epp just to be with my friends as I thought I couldn't learn anything new about it but I was so wrong. One new way I learned was how to do the back whip stitch. It's the only way I stitch the pieces together now. I usually use a size 50 wt thread with a larger needle.

QuiltnNan 03-20-2019 05:45 AM

not sure about threads, but the blocks look good

Doggramma 03-20-2019 06:12 AM

Neat blocks! I started EPP for the same reason you mentioned. I like the Bottom Line for my EPP. I bought one of those donut things with all the colors so that works for me, and I like that the thread doesn’t seem too heavy. I do my stitching using the “flat back” method as done by Karen from DIY Addicts. So it wouldn’t really matter about the color of thread as the stitching is on the back so you don’t see the thread from the front. Karen has some You Tubes about her stitching method.

SherylM 03-20-2019 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8228153)
I have used both those threads and liked both. Silk thread is excellent for strong stitches. I like EEP and do a lot of it. I took a class on Epp just to be with my friends as I thought I couldn't learn anything new about it but I was so wrong. One new way I learned was how to do the back whip stitch. It's the only way I stitch the pieces together now. I usually use a size 50 wt thread with a larger needle.

I'm learning to do this mostly from YouTube and I saw a couple of videos demonstrating the flat back stitch. I tried it and the results were good, but it felt awkward and I had a hard time with it. Maybe after I've done this for a while, I'll revisit it.

I use a ladder stitch when I sew on my bindings, so I'm going to try that one too.

I never had the desire to try EPP, mostly because I'm not a fan of Grandmothers Flower Garden quilts, and that and hexies are mostly what you see and think of when someone mentions it. However, I go to a "Sit & Sew" every Thursday at a local church and last week one of the ladies was working on a Sue Daley pattern (Quattro Colour quilt) and I fell in love with it!

I love geometric and tessellating designs and was looking for another type of handwork to do, other than my Sashiko. This fits the bill and I can see it becoming an addiction. ;)

QuiltnNan - thank you! I'm pleased with them.

feline fanatic 03-20-2019 07:06 AM

Positively love your blocks!! Never would have thought to do trapezoids with EPP. You have done it with phenomenal results.

I would not hesitate to recommend Invisifil. BL is a 60 wt and Invisifil is 100 wt, much finer. It acts like silk. It sinks down into the fabric and blends right in so if you are matching a black fabric to white fabric and piece with invisifil in white, it does not show in the seam line of the black unless you really pull apart on the pieces to expose the stitching. Don't be shocked that the spools of it are so small. They can get a lot of 100 wt on those little spools.

SherylM 03-20-2019 10:04 AM

Well, I went ahead and ordered a couple spools of InvisaFil in charcoal and off white and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I also ordered an EPP kit for a Storm at Sea quilt. It's on my bucket list and I've been trying to decide what method I want to use to make it, because I want to start it fairly soon (before the end of the year.). I've tried foundation paper piecing, and I'm not a fan. I was thinking of using Deb Tuckers rulers to make it, but I think, for me, the EPP is the way to go. Not the fastest way, but that's fine. I can work on it a little here, a little there, and not have to worry about chopping off those points!

Kitsie 03-20-2019 10:29 AM

Haven't used Bottom Line but love Invisafil. I use neutral color and can barely see it on any fabric.

Kitsie 03-20-2019 10:30 AM

Haven't used Bottom Line but love Invisafil. I use neutral color and can barely see it on any fabric.
BTW, learn the Knicker Knot! Sue Daly has a tute on making it. Very secure.

SherylM 03-20-2019 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie (Post 8228270)
BTW, learn the Knicker Knot! Sue Daly has a tute on making it. Very secure.

Yep, that's on my "to do" list! :thumbup: