Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bought antique quilt at yard sale - need advice. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bought-antique-quilt-yard-sale-need-advice-t246433.html)

dmsaki 05-07-2014 06:41 PM

Bought antique quilt at yard sale - need advice.

I bought an 1850 -1860 hand applique and pieced quilt. It's absolutely beautiful, hand quilting is very good. I no longer have room for this quilt and I want to sell it. I thought about ebay or craigslist but I'm not sure. I was wondering if anyone knows if that is a website or company that specializes in buying antique quilts so I don't have to deal with craigslist or ebay (I've never sold anything on ebay so I have no idea how difficult it is). thanks for any help I can get.

stillclock 05-07-2014 07:56 PM

i am sorry you have to part with it.

i don't have any advice.

good luck!

aileen

ckcowl 05-08-2014 01:06 AM

check out www.quiltsforsale.ca website! you can actually list the quilt for the amount you want- fees are much less- I've been selling quilts through the site for a number of years now- so much better than 'auction sites' where you can really loose money.

nunnyJo 05-08-2014 02:49 AM

I'd keep it

QuiltnNan 05-08-2014 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 6708297)
check out www.quiltsforsale.ca website! you can actually list the quilt for the amount you want- fees are much less- I've been selling quilts through the site for a number of years now- so much better than 'auction sites' where you can really loose money.

ck... glad you have been successful selling there... it's interesting that they list the sold numbers... only about 1/3 of the quilts sell.

ptquilts 05-08-2014 04:16 AM

I had a quilt on that website and it did not sell. You have to pay to list it. I would try Etsy first, or maybe a local antique dealer would buy it from you.

If it is really good, people will pay for it on Ebay. I would stay away from Craigslist.

Geri B 05-08-2014 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by nunnyJo (Post 6708332)
I'd keep it

Me too..I have two hand quilted whole clothes-unlabeled-bought at an estate sale that were so underpriced I could not NOT buy them...would not think of selling them. They dress the beds here on holidays..then get lovingly packed away...NOW what will happen to them when I am gone! Who knows, probably another underpriced estate sale. MINE! Hopefully to someone else who will love them!

nativetexan 05-08-2014 05:51 AM

ask at local quilt shops and they may suggest putting a notice up there.

#1piecemaker 05-08-2014 06:09 AM

An antique dealer might be interested in it. But, don't take the first offer. Or, you might just try e-bay. Vintage quilts like yours bring more there than ones that are newly made. Set a reserve on it though or make a Buy it now price.

mckwilter 05-08-2014 06:31 AM

I'd suggest getting it appraised before you list it anywhere. It will cost you a little, but you will have a better idea of what to ask.

If you don't need the money, another option is to donate it to a museum.