Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bought a second hand mid arm today (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bought-second-hand-mid-arm-today-t279222.html)

Tothill 06-02-2016 04:41 PM

Bought a second hand mid arm today

I am doing a happy dance!!:D

I was planning to buy a long arm at some point in the next two years. The time line was to allow me to save the funds and do more research.

In the meantime I have been watching local classifieds for second hand machines. Very, very few come available. I live on a large Island and the cost of looking off island is just too high (Ferry fares, hotel, plus travel time a day trip can cost over $500.00).

Tuesday afternoon there still were no machines for sale locally. Wednesday morning there was a Used HQ 16 on a 11 foot frame, five years old and very few stitches. The price was right for me and the only long arm dealers on the Island are Handi Quilter ones, so I have locally available service. I can also buy parts and accessories from the dealer.

I emailed in the afternoon and got an email back in the evening, saying they had had several calls about the machine. Today, I was the first person to go see it. Diane the lovely lady selling it, spent two hours answering my questions and explaining the machine to me. I gave her a deposit and tomorrow I pick her up. I think I will have to name her Diana after the lady I am buying her from.

I called one of the dealers and I am taking the machine in after I pick her up to have her serviced. Even with low stitch count, I think it is worth getting tune up before I start quilting with her.

Now I know a long arm would give me more options, but at the price I am paying, this machine gives me the opportunity to decide if quilting standing at a frame is for me. I also know that there will be resale value should I decide I want a larger machine in the future.

I am paying $5500 (cash no tax) Canadian, (about $4200 US). A Sweet 16 sit down would cost me that plus 12% tax new. The Simply 16 with the Little Foot frame is about $7700 plus 12% tax new.

I am happy with the price I am paying, excited to have a new tool to use. This weekend I am buying paint and painting my ex's old office, so it is nice and fresh for my new machine. I am going to make a bright, pretty, creative space for me.

quilts4charity 06-02-2016 04:47 PM

Hooray, enjoy it!!!

Cari-in-Oly 06-02-2016 04:52 PM

Congrats! I'm sure you will love it! I hope your dealer is as great as mine. I recently bought a gently used 18' Avante and my dealer is awesome. Play, practice, and most of all, have fun!

Cari

Stitchnripper 06-02-2016 04:58 PM

That sounds great. Enjoy!!

QuiltNama 06-02-2016 05:07 PM

Congratulations!!! I've had mine for 7 years and still love it. There are lots of you tube demos and an HQ site. Mine has done many, many quilts. Enjoy

Tartan 06-02-2016 06:14 PM

​Congratulations!

Cybrarian 06-02-2016 06:39 PM

So happy for you!

JustAbitCrazy 06-02-2016 06:55 PM

That's awesome! I think you made a wise choice, since I've never met an unhappy HQ owner. Have fun!

Mariposa 06-02-2016 07:15 PM

Congrats on your new to you machine! You will love it! I love mine~~ :)

BETTY62 06-02-2016 08:41 PM

You go girl!