Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bought unfinished project at a garage sale - What is it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bought-unfinished-project-garage-sale-what-t235233.html)

JulesMcTool 11-21-2013 05:17 PM

Bought unfinished project at a garage sale - What is it?

4 Attachment(s)
I was very fortunate to puchase 9 different unfinished quilting projects at a garage sale last week ($5- $8 each). The quilter who passed away had so many interesting projects - probably over 50 of them! She was very organized and mituculous - the projects were in nice plastic boxes, the pattern noted on the outside: inside the cut pieceses (all sored in baggies with notes, the pattern, extra fabric, some had templates too!

I got this one brown box with no pattern name, but many zip lock baggies with notes on them. At first I thought it might be one project but I am not sure. Can you help me out?

The MYSTERY BOX has many flower prints with: large and small hexies, heart yo-yo's, half square trangles, large and small "petals"?? (as well as a lot of 2" squares???) Also alot of "fence rail" (I think that you call them that--- rectangles that have one corner cut off) Here is a photo. I got this whole box for $5.00.

If you do not know if this is an actual quilt maybe you could give me some ideas what you would do if you had "the mystery box??

I ended up spending ONLY $110.00. I was trying to refrain myself!!!! I got a bag of selected (my me) notions for $20.00 - many still in original packaging, unopened. Fabric (even batiks) was priced at $1.00 a piece - even 3 yard pieces.. She had 3 FeatherLights and another machine - many finished quilts. Oh how I wish I would have known her as you could tell she loved the art. Bless her sole. All funds were donated to her church.

Are you up for the mystery?
HELP!!!

M.Elizabeth 11-21-2013 05:21 PM

No idea as to quilter's intention. However, I would say you had a lucky day!

luce321 11-21-2013 05:26 PM

She really was organized, everything is so neat. What a great find, happy sewing.

Diane007 11-21-2013 05:36 PM

well have fun finishing them :)

nativetexan 11-21-2013 06:19 PM

boy I never heard of heart yo-yo's. maybe she just cut scraps into these wanting to make other designs in the future.

BSKTLOFR-QUILTER 11-21-2013 06:24 PM

Lucky you. Two featherweights!! wow. I'd go crazy if I came across something like that. Regardless of her intentions make it your own and enjoy her wonderful fabrics. She's be happy that her tools and fabric went to somebody that loves to quilt.

quiltingcandy 11-21-2013 06:27 PM

My first thought these are her left-overs from quilts she had actually finished. I have a whole box of three inch hexigons that I cut and even sewed together that I did not like the colors or felt they didn't go with the others, but could throw away or give away (yet).

ragamuffin 11-21-2013 07:34 PM

It could be a sampler quilt, one a grandmother's flower garden, another one a 9 patch, another one a rail fence, maybe a bee type square. I would try that. Because of the mix of fabrics, I think she was going to make a sampler for sure. Good luck, and enjoy the pieces.

Grandma Peg 11-21-2013 07:40 PM

Nice find, have fun.

tessagin 11-21-2013 07:47 PM

That was my thought a sampler quilt! 2 Featherweights? Ugh!! Photos please of the Featherweights:)

Originally Posted by ragamuffin (Post 6417892)
It could be a sampler quilt, one a grandmother's flower garden, another one a 9 patch, another one a rail fence, maybe a bee type square. I would try that. Because of the mix of fabrics, I think she was going to make a sampler for sure. Good luck, and enjoy the pieces.