Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bow Tuck Question? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bow-tuck-question-t72010.html)

cindle 10-24-2010 09:51 AM

I've bought all the fabric and pellon to make my first bow tuck but am just wondering if these purse are slouchy when done or after being used for a while or are they stiffer? I was just wondering because by accident I bought some interfacing and was wondering if it would be ok and make a stiffer bag if I used both the interfacing and the pellon? Also never having put a zipper in anything would this be hard to do and what length zipper would you need? Sorry for so many questions I'm new to sewing things like this and to be honest I'm kinda scared :shock:

np3 10-24-2010 10:17 AM

The stiffness is determined by the type of interfacing/Pellon you use in it. No restrictions, it is personal preference. I like them very stiff. There is a tute on here that you can search for that shows how to put in the zipper. You can search for it at the top of the page.

Dingle 10-24-2010 10:27 AM

The ones I make I like them a little stiffer. What I do is buy the heavy pellon from Wal-Mart (they don't carry the one that the pattern calls for) I use the heavy pellon just on the outside part of the bag. I use the thinner pellon for everything else. I had to get that at Joanns. I think it makes it just a little more firmer.

HTH

Kitsie 10-24-2010 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by cindle
I've bought all the fabric and pellon to make my first bow tuck but am just wondering if these purse are slouchy when done or after being used for a while or are they stiffer? I was just wondering because by accident I bought some interfacing and was wondering if it would be ok and make a stiffer bag if I used both the interfacing and the pellon? Also never having put a zipper in anything would this be hard to do and what length zipper would you need? Sorry for so many questions I'm new to sewing things like this and to be honest I'm kinda scared :shock:

Mine is slouchy and I wish it were stiffer!

littlehud 10-24-2010 11:03 AM

I wish I had used heavier pellon. Mine isn't too bad but I would like it stiffer.

fireworkslover 10-24-2010 11:16 AM

This is probably one of those situations where you really won't know if you want a stiffer feel until you've completed the bag and used it a while. The same goes for making it larger or deeper or placement of a pocket in a different place, etc. The second one will probably be better in your eyes.

qwkslver 11-04-2010 05:50 AM

Has anyone used Soft and Stable? It will surely make a bag that stands up more. I'm trying it but unfortunately it is my first bag so it may be a while before it is finished. :(

Quilter7x 11-04-2010 05:53 AM

I haven't heard of Soft and Stable, but it sounds like you could use it for this purse.

I just won a Bow Tucks purse at a raffle, but there were no zippers in it anywhere. Is there supposed to be a zippered pocket somewhere?

knlsmith 11-04-2010 05:55 AM

My daughter has a part time job, full time student, and full time social butterfly. her latest i made for her is with her at all times so you can imagine how it gets used and "loved." it stands up just fine with the Pellon 987. but like said before, everyone is different. Make one and try it out.

Charlee 11-04-2010 05:57 AM

Not if you go by the pattern Diane...the zippers are individual add-ons because of preference. :)