Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bow Tucks Tote Question - and tip (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bow-tucks-tote-question-tip-t46949.html)

peaceandjoy 05-24-2010 09:51 AM

Okay, I've got my Bow Tucks Tote well under way and am loving how it is turning out. Attaching the handles/button loop has me stumped...

As I read the directions, it says to have the right side facing me, mark the top middle of the bag and attach the button loop here. Wouldn't that be just above the outside pocket? So then, the button would be on the opposite side, which isn't what the pictures show?

Maybe I'm supposed to attach it to the middle of the bag - which would be the wrong side of the back piece? That way the button would be sewn above the pocket...

The pattern then continues ton wtih pinning the handles 3" from this point - so do they get sewn to the wrong side, or the right side?

Sorry to be so dense - woke up with a migraine which is much better now, but I'm definitely still fuzzy. My outside pocket is sewn on, and it actually extends about 1/4" into the contrasting fabric on the bottom. Can't decide if I want to take it off and reapply higher, or just leave it. Probably was not a good day to sew.

Apparently, yesterday wasn't either - while quilting the pieces, I sewed right through my flipping finger!!! FMQ is not one of my skills and I was so intent on what where I was going (don't want those lines to cross!!) that I didn't even notice that my hand was approaching the needle. Dang, that hurt!

And last, here's my little tip. For those who are not super comfortable with FMQ, do the lining pieces first (not the pocket). That way, you get warmed up and have some practice. Nobody will know if your stitches aren't quite even, or if you've crossed over a line of stitiching, or heaven forbid, you have a hook instead of a loop. By the time you're done with the lining, you'll be feeling more comfortable and the outside pieces will be easier.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

BKinCO 05-24-2010 10:10 AM

The button loop gets sewn on the back side, not the front with the pocket. Sew the button loop and the handles to the right side of the fabric with a scant 1/4 inch seam.

Does this make sense? You'll want to put your button above the pocket on the front.

peaceandjoy 05-24-2010 10:22 AM

Thank you BKinCO! When I read "wtih the right side of the bag facing you..." I thought it meant the front of the bag - which just didn't make sense. But knowing that it didn't say "on the right side of the back of the bag," and that I'm not on my best game, I thought I was doing it wrong.

Maybe I'll put this away for another day...

Up North 05-24-2010 10:30 AM

My button loop is on the front on the first one I did, That part was a little confusing. But I get it now!! Show us a picture when you are done. Sorry about the finger too!

amma 05-24-2010 10:33 AM

Sorry about your finger :( Glad you got rid of the migraine!
Thank you for the tip :D:D:D

peaceandjoy 05-24-2010 11:07 AM

Thanks, folks.

Lol - the finger.. Not nearly as bad as some of the stories I've read here. The needle went right through my nail, straight through the finger and out the other side. As soon as I put the needle back up, it started to bleed like crazy. Iced it and held it up for a while. Had to lift and trim around the hole in my nail a bit as it was rough. Today I can barely see the spot on the pad of my fingertip and it barely hurts. Spot under my nail looks bruised. Didn't even break the darned needle (which having read what happened to some people is a good thing).

Janetlmt 05-24-2010 11:16 AM

One thing I would like to point out about the handles...this is from experience..either sew them on with lots of back and forth sewing..and or put them down further then what the pattern calls for. My first bag the handle came undone.

peaceandjoy 05-24-2010 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Janetlmt
One thing I would like to point out about the handles...this is from experience..either sew them on with lots of back and forth sewing..and or put them down further then what the pattern calls for. My first bag the handle came undone.

Great tip, thank you! Perfect timing - think I'll go over them a couple of times before I put the lining and the bag together.

littlehud 05-24-2010 05:25 PM

What great tips. I just ordered a kit from Connecting Threads. to make one. I can't wait til it gets here.

peaceandjoy 05-25-2010 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
What great tips. I just ordered a kit from Connecting Threads. to make one. I can't wait til it gets here.

You'll love it - it goes together really nicely. I love that you can customize the pockets so that they are sizes you like. Several people at work have asked me if I could make them one.